To sleeve or not to sleeve??

D

DeltaT

After a heated debate on another forum, I thought i'd ask here, just to see what the 'doughnuts' think.

Sleeve or no sleeve on a gas pipe passing through a plasterboard partition wall??

Sponsored Links
is the partition wall ventilated? If not, I would not want to be near the wall if it is full of gas from leak in the pipe.

sleeve, if there was a leak inside the wall the partition would fill with gas ,

Just a standard gyproc partition Danny, one sheets of 12.5mm gyproc either side of 89mm CLS.

Sponsored Links
Where's the advantage in not sleaving it?

28mm copper tube is around £7 a metre so 120mm would set you back about 75p , **** the expense I would go for it :D

Gentlemen, regardless of the very high expense of the sleeve, in your view is there a requirement?? Would you as a Gas Safe RGI fit one??

I would answer that the regulations require a sleeve.

But its difficult to contemplate either:-

A non jointed 15 or 22 mm copper suddenly starting to leak!

OR

"subsidence" in the plasterboard wall breaking the gas pipe!

I make it standard practice to sleeve ALL pipes be they water oil or gas whnever they pass through any kind of wall, this way you are offering mechanical protection to the pipe against any movement that may occur withinm the wall - thats how i was taught many years ago as the lowly boy who's main job was cutting sleeve for my fitter!! ;)

I say this fellow sleeving a gas pipe where it went through an internal brick pillar but he did not have a long enough piece of 28mm tube.

He cut two lengths each 40 mm and inserted them into each side of the pillar and cemented them in place!

I'd sleeve it. Could the plaster in the board maybe cause corrosion over time? Plus it's a cavity so it has to be!

Am I missing something obvious?

where gas pipes pass through walls solid or cavity they shoud be sleeved.
3 purposes
protects pipe from movement of wall which would apply a load to the pipe

protects the pipe from any sort of chemical reaction to plaster or cement etc

thirdly and the answer to your question... prevents gas leaking into the cavity

the sleeve should be made of material that is suitable for conveying gas and will not corrode and there should be an annular space between the pipe and sleeve and sealed at one end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back