Toilet Under stairs no light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, I have a light & extractor fan in a toilet under stairs, with two separate switches, I have then wired now I need to feed with L & N, I only can see 2 places I can get it from a 2 GANG 2 WAY SWITCH or SOCKET. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE

Sponsored Links
There probably isn't a neutral at the switches although you may be lucky.
Do you know how to determine if a black or blue wire is a neutral?
A picture would help.

A Fused Connector Unit connected to the socket may be the only option.

hi guys, I have a light & extractor fan in a toilet under stairs, with two separate switches
Why two switches do you not have a window under the stairs you can open? If not then one hopes :evil: the incumbent has the decency to switch both on.

I have then wired now I need to feed with L & N,
One hopes that you have included the earth as well.
Also you need to tell us the type of fan and how have you wired it and the switches because that will determine the answer to your second question.
I only can see 2 places I can get it from a 2 GANG 2 WAY SWITCH or SOCKET. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE
The normal way is to take the power lead from the ceiling rose and run it through a dual pole fused connection unit and then if it is a timer fan through a three pole isolator (at least that what the manufacturers instructions will say)- taking it from a two way switch is fine if there is a L, N and E available.
If you take it from a socket then you will need to run it from a fused spur.

hi guys, I have a light & extractor fan in a toilet under stairs, with two separate switches
Why two switches do you not have a window under the stairs you can open? If not then one hopes :evil: the incumbent has the decency to switch both on.

I have then wired now I need to feed with L & N,
One hopes that you have included the earth as well.
Also you need to tell us the type of fan and how have you wired it and the switches because that will determine the answer to your second question.
I only can see 2 places I can get it from a 2 GANG 2 WAY SWITCH or SOCKET. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE
The normal way is to take the power lead from the ceiling rose and run it through a dual pole fused connection unit and then if it is a timer fan through a three pole isolator (at least that what the manufacturers instructions will say)- taking it from a two way switch is fine if there is a L, N and E available.
If you take it from a socket then you will need to run it from a fused spur.

thank you very much, I don't have a window I put to switch because the fan can be annoying sometimes so you have the option to live it on or off, both have earth connection that i connected already, from the switches L1 to Live in the light & C to supply that i don't have yet, thanks again

Sponsored Links
A picture would help.

I did something that I might shouldn't, I the live on so I connected it and tried the other three wires one by one but with no luck

A picture would help.

just upload some pictures maybe it helps, I think I'll go take it from the sockets at the end, thanks again

Looking at your photographs you have a live and switch live at both the switches.
You don't have a neutral at the two way switch so you cannot use that.

You still haven't said what type of extractor fan you have - does it have a timer - this is important because it will determine the type of cable you use.

Assuming your fan is a standard non timer:
Looking at your junction box - assuming that those cables on the left are the incoming the live/switch lives from the light and fan switches and the outgoing SL/N/E to the ceiling light and fan. Not sure what the cable is on the right???
Bring your LNE into the jb via the 3/5Amp fused connection unit from the socket. Connect LNE to the designated LNE terminals at the jb.

Then for your ceiling rose light follow the instructions EFL referred to.
For your fan the brown (switch live) goes to the L terminal the Neutral to the N terminal and the earth to the earth terminal if it has one. Otherwise use terminal strip and tape it up. Sleeve all the other earths and sleeve your switch lives with brown sleeving.

If the fan does have a timer then you will need 3 core and earth to the fan.

Looking at your photographs you have a live and switch live at both the switches.
You don't have a neutral at the two way switch so you cannot use that.

You still haven't said what type of extractor fan you have - does it have a timer - this is important because it will determine the type of cable you use.

Assuming your fan is a standard non timer:
Looking at your junction box - assuming that those cables on the left are the incoming the live/switch lives from the light and fan switches and the outgoing SL/N/E to the ceiling light and fan. Not sure what the cable is on the right???
Bring your LNE into the jb via the 3/5Amp fused connection unit from the socket. Connect LNE to the designated LNE terminals at the jb.

Then for your ceiling rose light follow the instructions EFL referred to.
For your fan the brown (switch live) goes to the L terminal the Neutral to the N terminal and the earth to the earth terminal if it has one. Otherwise use terminal strip and tape it up. Sleeve all the other earths and sleeve your switch lives with brown sleeving.

If the fan does have a timer then you will need 3 core and earth to the fan.

the extractor fan have no timer, there is no (N) on the 2 gangs switches, I am just going to get a 5 amp switched fused spur and get it from my nearest socket , really appreciate your help thanks a lot, hope it will works

Your post is unclear.

Are you saying you need a perm live and neutral supply for a fan and light you have started to wire?

If you take the supply from the light switch you mention, it must have a neutral. Switches often don't have a neutral, even if there are black or blue wires present.

To wire from a socket circuit you would need to do this via a fused spur unit, with a 3 amp fuse in it. More details of the socket circuit are needed first before connecting up.

EDIT. When I replied to this it seemed there were no replies. May be going mad, or site playing up.

New, revised post.

Stop work, and get a pro in. That work is totally awful and unacceptable.

If not then one hopes :evil: the incumbent has the decency to switch both on.
Might not always need them both.

Perhaps this would be a good switch for the fan?

683.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back