Toilet Under stairs no light

Your post is unclear.

Are you saying you need a perm live and neutral supply for a fan and light you have started to wire?

If you take the supply from the light switch you mention, it must have a neutral. Switches often don't have a neutral, even if there are black or blue wires present.

To wire from a socket circuit you would need to do this via a fused spur unit, with a 3 amp fuse in it. More details of the socket circuit are needed first before connecting up.

EDIT. When I replied to this it seemed there were no replies. May be going mad, or site playing up.

I tried take from the switch wasn't any neutral there only live, so it is out. now I am going to get (L) (N) (E) from a socket via a fused spur unit, with a 3 amp fuse in it

Sponsored Links
Looking at your photographs ..........

...... You should get an Electrcian in, as that is clearly a bodged mess.

I have to agree with u it looks messy alright, but was done in the very same way before and worked just fine, the only thing I can not get the supply from the same place I had before, doing to a house renovation I had to change things around but I am getting there, thanks for the comment any way

Have a go at re-doing the junction box in the last photo.

The grey sheath must enter the box.

The coloured cores need to be about two inches long. Arrange the wires neatly, without shortening them. Taking the wire the 'long way round' to the terminal will in some cases make a neat job. Use earth sleeving on the bare earth wires.

We'll make you try and do a better job yet!

You really need a 20 amp 6 terminal junction box. Possibly the cores may need to be very slightly longer.

If not then one hopes :evil: the incumbent has the decency to switch both on.
Might not always need them both.

Perhaps this would be a good switch for the fan?

683.jpg

looks great, good idea

Sponsored Links

The coloured cores need to be about two inches long. Arrange the wires neatly, without shortening them. Taking the wire the 'long way round' to the terminal will in some cases make a neat job. Use earth sleeving on the bare earth wires.

You really need a 20 amp 6 terminal junction box. Possibly the cores may need to be very slightly longer.

really appreciate your help, I'll do what you suggested, I'll post a picture tomorrow when I get it done, thanks again for the help.

how you are doing? I redone the job looks a bit better now, I've connected the light she is working fine, I was thinking to do the same job for the extractor fan, worked before, I am not quite sure if it is ok to do this way.
I bought a extractor fan switch but I wasn't quite sure how to work with it.

If not then one hopes :evil: the incumbent has the decency to switch both on.
Might not always need them both.

Perhaps this would be a good switch for the fan?

683.jpg

looks great, good idea
hi, how are the things? I couldn't find the one you posted, I bought a extractor fan switch but I couldn't figure out how to work with it.

I couldn't find the one you posted,
It was meant to be a joke - fan switch with 2 positions, labelled #1 and #2.

I bought a extractor fan switch but I couldn't figure out how to work with it.
It goes in the supply to the fan to allow you to isolate it for maintenance or override it if you don't want it on.

TBH, if it isn't obvious to you then you should not be doing electrical work.

how you are doing? I redone the job looks a bit better now, I've connected the light she is working fine, I was thinking to do the same job for the extractor fan, worked before, I am not quite sure if it is ok to do this way.
I bought a extractor fan switch but I wasn't quite sure how to work with it.
On the basis that you said you have a standard fan (non timer) then your outgoing extractor cable at the jb Switch Live, Neutral and Earth will go to the supply side of the three pole isolator - except you only need to use the L1 and Neutral (you only need L2 if your fan had a timer).
You then run T&E from the load side's L1 and N to your fans equivalent L and N.
Make sure you sleeve and connect the incoming and outgoing earths at the isolator using a terminal block.
Your fan will probably not need an earth so at the fan put the sleeved earth wire in another terminal block.
At your 'tidied up' jb make sure you put brown tape around the incoming Switch live (blue cable) and at the switch - this will highlight to others that this is not a neutral but a switch live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back