Tolerance of built dimensions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have planning permission for a side extension 4.9m wide!

If it was built slightly wider then at what width would it be at risk of an enforcement notice to take it down? Conversely at what extra width would it be considered as acceptable within practical building limits?

In my case there are no other properties nearby.

Tony

Sponsored Links
In legal terms there is no acceptable tolerance, if it is built bigger than the approved drawings show then it is in breach, end of story.

In reality, let’s say you built it 300mm bigger, you may be risking enforcement though as it was only 300mm it would probably unlikely go further than snotty letters and inviting you to re-apply for PP. Now if you built it say 1m bigger then the chances of enforcement and further action being taken will increase.

Though if the planners ever discover your naughty behaviour then bear in mind that the tolerances suggested above are just that ie suggestions of possible outcomes and no one can really predict a likely outcome.

Government guidance to local authorities concerning enforcement action states;

'it may not be appropriate for a minor or technical breach where no harm has occurred'

Is yours a 'minor breach'...........?

It is not built yet!

Is there any truth that a tolerance of 1/2 house brick length to allow a wall to be a whole number of bricks is normally considered acceptable? That's 100 mm approx.

Mine is to be rendered though.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You should easily be able to play with the perp's over that distance in order to work it in full bricks, i.e. no cuts.

Half a brick's worth "to allow a whole number of bricks to be used" is utter tripe, don't even think of using it as an excuse. The simple reason is that bricks are laid staggered so the end one, where the wall turns a corner, is turned round 90 degrees and becomes half a brick wide. Ergo wall lengths can only ever be multiples of half a brick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back