Tool set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved out of home and into a new place, and I'm starting to find lots of little jobs that I need tools for - living at home, I always used my father's toolbox.

I'm looking for some advice on what I should go for - there are loads of tool sets from B and Q for example, but I don't want to go overboard; and I don't want anything that will fall apart after 2 uses (I suspect lots of sets are filled with junk)... common sense tells me that the most sensible option is to buy a basic tool set, then supplement it with other pieces.

So - any recommendations? Any tool sets which you think are particularly good value to start off with? As I said, I want to spend enough that they'll last.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Most of these tool sets are fairly rubbish. If I were you I'd just buy a box, some decent quality tools, and add stuff as you need it.

Don't buy a pre packaged tool set. They bulk them out with a load of rubbish that you will never use, but still end up paying for.

Get one of those sets of about 7 screwdrivers. You will not need more than 7. Make sure the 'cross head' screwdrivers are for pozidrive screws, and NOT for phillips screws. Then add a claw hammer, tape measure, pliers, side cutters (wire cutters), adjustable spanner or mole grips, small spirit level, junior hacksaw, wood saw, stanley knife.

I think thats all the basics, and would be a good start.

Have a look on the screwfix website etc, as the DIY stores are more often than not hideously expensive for everything.

If you look at the cheapest tool of each type on screwfix, it would expect it to be more than sufficient for DIY use, and probably still better qualitly than the stuff from the DIY store.

Look for screwdriver set 24354. It will a DIYer a lifetime! (If you can afford it, I'd definatly recommend it, although I don't know what your budget is)

Got a Lidl's nearby? Currently got 4 pliers set for £3.99. They ok for DIY. Look out for their specials for cheap tools. Their chisels set is good for a fiver, also various pliers that usually cost about £1.50. Not the best admittedly but a good place to start and will give plenty of use for small initial outlay.

Sponsored Links
Far be it from me to disagree with the wise and the good of this board, but I disagree with the advice you’ve been given :)

You’ve just moved in on your own. You’re skint and have a huge learning curve about DIY.

Buy cheap tools to learn what you can and can’t do. As you pick up skills throw the old tools away and invest in decent replacements. The ones you don’t use you can just keep in a cupboard as you’ve wasted little money on them.

You build a decent tool collection over years.

That’s my 2p worth.

No offense meant to the real tradesmen who have offered you advice.

Therms

I'd say it's worth starting off with some decent quality tools. Set of screwdrivers, pliers, a properly balanced hammer, a decent saw, etc, are all basic tools everyone will use. Cheaping out on such items is not worth the expense.

for the interim, this will start you off well..

as you need to replace / upgrade parts you can buy better quality stuff, but unless it's a dump that needs some major TLC then the tools will spend the majority of their life in the back of a shed or cupboard so splashing out on £300 worth of kit for a basic tool box isn't really worth it.

don't forget a set of paint brushes and a paint / wallpaper scraper

My 2p 'orth. Buy the following:-

Tape measure Axminster do a good one.
Set of screwdrivers Wera are good, make sure you have a Pozi #2 the most common.
Hammers, small, claw and club. (I like the weight foward ones, but they're expensive and a bit poncey TBH)
A Hammer drill, my preferred, Makita, but v expensive. So if on a budget, go for a cheaper make, BUT... buy decent drill bits.. My Fav Dewalt Extreme's
If doing ANY electrical work, a multimeter, a cheap one @ ~ £5-6 is fine. Plus set of VDE electrical pliers, Knipex are good.
Saw. Well sky's the limit here, but you can get a reasonable Ryobi for not too much. Spear and Jackson for Hand saws.

Thing about it is, cheap tools make a job harder, more time consuming and are likely to put you off. Expensive tools are usually, but not always, a pleasure to use and make light work of things.

My advice, less is more, and avoid Chinese screwdrivers!! Oh and SilverLine tools.

German made tools are often good quality.

Just my take.

it would probably help us if we had a list of what "little jobs" you need to do to advise best..

for example, if there's plumbing to be done then 2 pairs of water pump pliers would be a good idea, doors to hang? then you'll need some chisels etc..

There are only two main places I get tools from, car boot sales, only buy good brand names or eBay. The older the better, most tools these days are made in china and are rubbish. also try your local auction but keep clear of power tools, they may have been tested as safe but may not work, and if you kick up a fuss like i did you may get banned.

Disagree entirely, buy new from a reputable source.

car boot sale
112 Heavy-Duty Quick Release Engineers Vice 6in £10.00

toolbank
112 Heavy-Duty Quick Release Engineers Vice 6in £796.93

just one of many bargains

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back