Tools you cannot work without?

My bush king doesn't fit any more. I bought a poo technik one which is a different design, and that doesn't fit either.

Sponsored Links
a chalk string line for downlighters and cable runs
TWO sets of pipe grips for swa glands etc
1000 pencils
calculator

roll of loo paper for those sites where the portaloo's don't have any...
always take your own in..

Sponsored Links
A serious one from me now.

A self levelling laser. It's quite an expense for someone starting out, but I'd be lost without mine.

Best thing I've ever bought.

I have a DeWalt DW087K.

Just had a quick look, and they are going for about £150 all in.

some 20mm pipe to stick on each end of the stocks when threading short bits of pipe :)

bush spanner

a good quality hacksaw

square rule

HOP UP, as i'm a short arse it proves invaluable!!

24V Combi Drill!!!

Cable Rods

Trusty MFT's x 2

And like Rob MARLBORO LIGHTS for those moments when you need some serious creative thinking!!!

ratchet crimpers for insulated and non insulated.
CK combi snips
rods
Bosch 10.8V screwdriver, most expensive screwdriver i ever purchased and kind of regretted it at the time but I wouldn't be without it now
set of levels
mitre box saw

List what you have, maybe can suggest things you may not have already, also what scope of work do you do?

A lot depends on who you work for. When I worked for GEC Large Steam Turbines you were not allowed to bring any of your own tools on site. It seems someone hammer head came off on one site and GEC found they were not insured if the tools did not belong to them.

Taking tools to site can be a pain in the neck where others forever want to borrow your tools and some firms have bought the tool for all to use once the guy who had his own has left so in some cases it can work against you.

So unless on bonus or self employed wall chasers, Battery drills and the like should not be brought to site. Why buy something to save the firm money? When you do the job faster because of your tool they will not let you go home early and still get paid.

So the bush spanner and the like should be what you will look for.

PPE has to be provided by the employer so Martindale tester to test for dead and proving unit you don't need to buy. But I find the clamp on ammeter really handy if your allowed to bring them on site. Same for ratchet crimping pliers I found a set in my box saved walk to stores but again one firm did not allow me to have mine on site as not calibrated.

Good cutters are really handy but so many things change with one firm I used 3/8 socket set a lot as using Uni-strut but unless you use Uni-strut not really needed.

Some firms are really tight and you are expected to buy tools which really they should buy and I have used my own PAT tester, ELI tester, and Mega in the past but because there should be traceable records I shouldn't have done.

And working in petro-chemical, Commercial, Manufacturing, and Domestic will all work slightly different so no one can give you a good list except those working with you.

I know one guy I worked with had a snap-on tool box he paid for on the drip looked great but really he was a pain in the neck we were forever moving it out of the way and in the end the boss put it on the stores floor and on a big site he still needed a tool bag to carry tools so a white elephant.

And he still had to borrow my solder sucker! and my 120mm crimping pliers so you will never get it all.

ah what a list! Some tools i've never heard of haha! Thanks, will start writing a letter to santa..

21, 22, 24, 27mm sockets with the "lip" ground off ( good for bushes, glands and locknuts.. )..
deep 24 for 20mm SWA glands... ( again with lip ground off )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back