Trade with EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I have to express amazement at the naivety of some of the Brexit campaigners on Question Time last night and Lord Howard today, using the already discredited claim of "they will still want to sell us their German BMWs and French wine".
Of course they will and there'll be nothing to stop them.
The only impediment other than a "buy British" slogan will be any import tariffs applied by UK. Import tariffs will obviously increase the price of those type of goods coming into UK. Is that something the UK government want to do? Well, yes they would to make UK manufactured cars and wines, etc more competitive.
But it will increase the price of those goods.
Maybe we'll see more LHD cars on UK roads. Or less alcohol selection on supermarket shelves.
Maybe BMW will make savings because they'll no longer need to manufacture RHD cars.

Anybody remember this:
I'm Backing Britain was a brief patriotic campaign, which flourished in early 1968, aimed at boosting the British economy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Backing_Britain
prior to us joining EU
This was the best bit:
The campaign took a knock when the London wholesaler Scott Lester ordered thousands of white t-shirts on which it screen-printed the "I'm Backing Britain" slogan; the shirts had been made in Portugal. Scott Lester's marketing director explained that "we just cannot find a British T-shirt which will give us the same quality at a price which will compare", saying that the shirts would have to retail at £1 if British sources were used.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have to express amazement at the naivety of some of the Brexit campaigners on Question Time last night and Lord Howard today, using the already discredited claim of "they will still want to sell us their German BMWs and French wine".
Discredited claim? How? I really don't get what you're trying to say, because you then seem to contradict yourself:

So if "of course" they will want to continue selling to the U.K., how is the claim above discredited in any way?

The only impediment other than a "buy British" slogan will be any import tariffs applied by UK. Import tariffs will obviously increase the price of those type of goods coming into UK. Is that something the UK government want to do? Well, yes they would to make UK manufactured cars and wines, etc more competitive.
And? Would that be a bad thing? So a few things might go up in price. Free of the EU's red-tape, such increases in prices could easily be compensated for by a decrease in price on other things.

Discredited claim? How? I really don't get what you're trying to say, because you then seem to contradict yourself:

So if "of course" they will want to continue selling to the U.K., how is the claim above discredited in any way?
Simply because it is totally irrelevant to the result of the referendum whether EU can sell their exports to UK.

And? Would that be a bad thing? So a few things might go up in price. Free of the EU's red-tape, such increases in prices could easily be compensated for by a decrease in price on other things.
Your answer implies that we will not be exporting any goods or services to EU.
That's economic suicide. All and any Brexit campaigners would not consider such an option.

Simply because it is totally irrelevant to the result of the referendum whether EU can sell their exports to UK.
Then I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Is it just me or is anyone else not following the line of reasoning here? :confused:

How do you come to that conclusion?

What I was saying is that free of all the petty EU regulations, British industry might actually become more efficient and productive and able to produce goods at lower cost than at present.

Then I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Is it just me or is anyone else not following the line of reasoning here? :confused:
To suggest that German's will want to sell BMW and French sell wine to us is completely irrelevant to the result of the referendum.
Their success will depend on any import tariffs applied by UK government, not by much else.
High tariffs = high prices = lower sale figures.
That's the equation, not whether we're in or out.

How do you come to that conclusion?

What I was saying is that free of all the petty EU regulations, British industry might actually become more efficient and productive and able to produce goods at lower cost than at present.
Trade with EU is dependent on following EU rules and regulations.
No compliance = no trade!
You said, "free of all the petty EU regulations" = non-compliance of EU rules and regulations = no trade!

Free of many of them then. Just because U.K. manufacturers might need to comply with a few EU rules for exporting goods to EU countries, that doesn't mean they can't be free of all the others.

Free of many of them then. Just because U.K. manufacturers might need to comply with a few EU rules for exporting goods to EU countries, that doesn't mean they can't be free of all the others.
Sure, but it's going to take a few years for the markets etc, to settle down and decide what is what.
And there could always be stings in the tails, eg working time directives, H&S, holidays, maternity leave, etc for the manufacturers to comply with.

On top of that, I suspect that there are a myriad of rules and regulations that the UK government would not want to ignore.

Himmy is starting to show his true colours, he thinks we should remain. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

The shengen agreement (as I predicted) is now about to get scrapped, and the whilst the EU will do whatever is necessary to deal with the current migration problem, it's just going to go from one crisis to another, because it doesn't know how to actually run a business.

The problem we've got, is that because Cameron wants to remain - **** or bust, even if the referendum goes against him, he'll just start delaying tactics whilst he tries to renegotiate another farce.

Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Then why do you keep harping on and on about the "free trade " with the EU, which wouldn't be "free" if we leave the EU ?????

The essential problem comes down to our politicians would rather be little fishes in a big pond, and don't have the courage to go it on their own. They can defer to Brussels, and blame them for any problems. If they had to go out on their own, it would show people just how useless they are.

Never let fear rule your lives, just have the courage to deal with the inevitable problems as they crop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back