Tragic - outcome might be interesting

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

High voltage? Wonder what they’re classing as high voltage? I thought it was more the amps that killed from touch, not necessarily the voltage? - people survive being struck by lightning which is high voltage.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i think to the ordinary person they think of mains as high and battery say pp3 etc as low.
tragic case nonetheless

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes, tragic whatever the cause. But it could have been caused by an appliance they brought with them, rather than the installation itself.

For example a faulty or poorly constructed phone charger.

• Thanks
Yes, tragic whatever the cause. But it could have been caused by an appliance they brought with them, rather than the installation itself.

Yes indeed.
Some years back now, a young girl say about 14 years old was electrocuted near here.
Council house, fairly recent rewire. RCDs were not the norm then, maybe just a plug in power-breaker for lawn mower some folk used.
Quite a hoo haa by the family, sue council it`s their fault sort of shouts.
Turns out it was their own faulty table lamp she was using in the outhouse, house installation electrics passed as OK at inquest.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
A statement from the hotel was that the child was found within the "reception lounge area" and this was at 22:40.

• Thanks

Surely you're not trying to say people may have hazardous devices:
1694280740148.png
1694281085215.png

This one was at a rental property and the tenant was complaining there was something wrong with one socket.

The socket was of course on a RCD the other socket near it which worked fine happened to have been a repurposed NSR supply without RCD

Surely you're not trying to say people may have hazardous devices:View attachment 313560View attachment 313561
This one was at a rental property and the tenant was complaining there was something wrong with one socket.

The socket was of course on a RCD the other socket near it which worked fine happened to have been a repurposed NSR supply without RCD
Is that Brown going to Earth pin and Earth/cpc going to Neutral? Hard to see the colour of Line/live

Is that Brown going to Earth pin and Earth/cpc going to Neutral? Hard to see the colour of Line/live
Old colours but otherwise yes you are correct:
1694282010286.png

What doesn't show in pics is the 50m or so of 2.5mm² rubber flex was perished along almost all of its length.

• Thanks
More of the story:

• Thanks
I've got a kettle lead somewhere I used as a teaching aid.

I found it on a job I went to. The elderly lady, bless her, didn't have a clue it was lethal. I was so shocked I went out and bought her a new kettle on the spot.

I'll see if I can dig it out to show you. Just about everything that could be wrong, was.

Incredible.

One found by a colleague:

• Thanks
Boy died due to shock is tragic, but the report does not help, but if the report says how, then that is helpful to prevent more deaths, the report on the death of Ema Shore when it explained how the line got connected to the metal in the wall, and how the water leaked due to a thermostat failure where there was no cut out in the immersion heater, and the tun dish had not been fixed properly so there was water at line polarity and a stop bonded to neutral so when she tried to turn off the water she got electrocuted helps as it tells us how to avoid repeats.

Half a story causes knee jerk reactions which are often not required, road accidents in a 40 MPH area, and calls for speed limit to be reduced, but the guy was doing 60 MPH so not obeying the speed limit anyway, so lowering speed limit would not help.

There seems to be a myth that if you have a RCD you can't get a shock over 30 mA, one can get many amps for 40 mS, OK risk is reduced, but not removed, what we hope is with the RCD it will trip before some one touches a live part, but hacksaw blade through a cable when chasing down a wall which should have no cables, still hurts, I found out hard way, even with a RCD.

I was more upset because I did not check first, which I should have done, and not relied on cables being in the safe zones, but admitting I made the error may stop some one else doing the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back