Training

i honestly didn't say what i said to be negative, but as a chef trying to learn something else will be very difficult, cause you have to work enough hours to pay your keep then also try to learn something else that you might not want would be a disaster (OK too strong) for him as it would have been a waste of his valuable time, i mean to be positive in that to decide what trade you have a "feel" for then try to get some experience to try it out first, remember all the effort to change would be his and not to waste it. i'm aplumber to trade then moved into gas and absolutely love it and wouldn't do anything else, all my in laws are in the wet trades and have dodgy backs, knees, and etire early and are skint, plumber or spark, cleaner(ish) and more technical
good luck

Sponsored Links
Martin,

I had a chef who worked for me. He'd work on site during the day, finish around 4.30 then work from 6.00 to 9.30 as a chef. Though he did eventually have to pack in the chef work as his leaving at 4.30 was a bit of a pain for me.

He did work for another builder, as a general labourer, then he came to work for me. I always seem to dig founds by hand and he showed he was a grafter when digging. I liked his commitment and started teaching him. He was with me 3yrs. became a very good all rounder.

His plastering is good, much better than a lot of so called plasterers I've seen.

His carpentry is good, I would trust to do a uncomplicated cut roof on his own.

He hasn't worked for me this past year and he's been doing his own jobs, driveways, patios, a lot of plastering, and been making profit not wages.

So this could be an option for you, it's just finding a good builder willing to teach you. As a builder I need good workers and someone I've taught will do it my way, to my standard.

Sponsored Links
Little bit on the news just the other day...the TUC are going to push for a 110 pound minimum wage for trainees.

They have missed the fact that companies that subsribe to the national working rule agreement pay their trainees around that fgiure..or should do.

At the centre where I work trainees are paid 50 a quid plus travel..which is, lets face it *******s money!...I was on that in 1981

Unto they start paying a realistic wage the industry will never atract the right sort of boy or girl into it

Why do an appreticeship on **** money and have to go 'back to school' when they can earn 200 quid a week in mac donalds, tesco or b & q 500 odd punting mobiles in a call centre..??

Back