Training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have used this site a few times now and always found it very helpful, this time i am looking for some advise as regards training, i have been a chef for 10 years and now want to get into a trade but have no idea about what courses i need to take to get myself on the ladder.
I am interested in becoming either a plasterer or electrician but cannot go back to college full time due to commitments with mortgage and a young child, but i do have the funding in place to pay for the courses.
Any advice on what courses to do or people to contact will be greatly welcomed.
Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
with all due respect do you want to be a plasterer OR an electrician, i can't see how you have these as choices as they are so diverse, you are thinking of a change but you need commitment and drive to change now so you really should KNOW at least what area of construction you want into, to start to train as a plasterer then decide you want to be a spark 6 months down the line will be a disaster, not implying people should work off the books etc but you should get work experience to try your hand

Fair enough, can't argue with that, ill write to some building firms and ask them if i can do a few hours after i have finished work i presume these firms will still be working around 1am, or i can go on my 1 day off don't think they will mind if i have a 3 month old child with me, will they!!! these things are always best to do in theory but not always possible in practice. thanks anyway.[/u]

Sponsored Links
kirkgas said:
with all due respect do you want to be a plasterer OR an electrician, i can't see how you have these as choices as they are so diverse
Rubbish. What could be more diverse then cheffing (pardon the crude term) and electricianing?

to start to train as a plasterer then decide you want to be a spark 6 months down the line will be a disaster
More negative rubbish.

How can that be a disaster? It would give valuable insight into construction in general, would be very good exercise, and a second (or third) string to the bow should it be needed.

[quote="marjam"...i presume these firms will still be working around 1am, or i can go on my 1 day off don't think they will mind if i have a 3 month old child with me, will they[/quote]
A little bit too much sarcasm there, marjam, for someone who's asking for help and advice.

How do you see yourself achieving the transition to another trade/profession? What time will you have spare to (a) train and (b) start the business? Or do you plan to become an employee?

you see more old sparks than you do old plasterer's, ;) fitting plugs
in nice warm office's looking up the birds #. :LOL:

I heard that JohnD's bikini waxing salon is looking for staff.

(Or was it customers?)

Sponsored Links
Back