Turning FCU into socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, thought I would ask a different Q separately though it's to do with my previous Q in a way...

The storage heater I have linked by fcu to cheap electricity meter keeps melting the fuse holder - the fuse itself is ok as I tested it.
But the connection becomes dodgy and no elctricity flows through.

I want to change fcu to a socket and plug in a smaller heater using less load and still benefit from cheap electricity for heating.

1. Is that ok to do? The wire looks like a spur as it's single. or could it be a radial?
FYI, there are 3 heaters in my flat connected to 3 wall fcus and there are 3 switches similarly labelled in the MCB.

2. If I wired the single wire into a socket (red, black & G/Y), there is still an extra G/Y attached to the metal box housing the feed wire - where should I put that?
In to the E terminal with the G/Y which is part of the feed?
or
just leave it?

thanks very much!
SF

Sponsored Links
The storage heater I have linked by fcu to cheap electricity meter keeps melting the fuse holder - the fuse itself is ok as I tested it.
But the connection becomes dodgy and no elctricity flows through.

If the fuse holder is melting, yet the fuse isn't, how close is the fuse holder to the heater? I think it is probably the FCU that is dodgy, not the appliance plugged into it.

Thanks for reply Zen

I confirm that applaince not dodgy coz I attached a plug to it and it's ok.

So, as you said, it's the FCU or something.
My plan now is to turn FCU into a socket so I can still heat my very cold flat relatively cheaply -

Any suggestions from anyone about wiring up the socket?
Fix the extra Earth wire attached to metal housing case into the socket's E terminal or leave it?
not quite sure what extra Earth is there for as the Feed wire already has an Earth.

Thanks

the extra earth wire is to earth the metal box the fcu fits on, so it should be connectted to the earth on what ever you choose to put on the front, (socket or fcu) along with the incoming earth

Sponsored Links
thanks Breezer, thanks Zen for replies -

will give it a go.

if anyone can hazard a guess - would that single feed be a spur or a radial?
coz the cheap electicity 'circuit' (with its own mcb) only has 3 outlets all attached with the heaters.

ie. i don't think it is spurred off the main ring circuit which is on normal rate and is housed in separate MCB together with lights, cooker etc.

Thansk

Shouldn't fixed appliances be connected via DP switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back