turning left on red?

ban-all-sheds said:
It's not compulsory to use slang words that you know are stupid misnomers, nor is it wrong to challenge such usage and attempt to educate people about using our language properly.
I agree. Wholeheartedly. Which is probably why I didn't suggest that it was compulsory or that nobody should question the usage. I don't view it as a challenge however - more of an observation.

Languages constantly evolve - I daresay that the etymology of the word "overtook" doesn't stretch very far back, but I might be wrong. Slang words, whether or not they're defined as misnomers, and whether or not those misnomers are viewed, by a minority, as stupid ones, are mighty handy ways of communicating speedily. I daresay that you yourself might well have used the odd misnomer? But if you say you haven't then that's good enough for me.

Sponsored Links
My what a big climb-down. You must have a head for heights, Softus.

hehehehehe

joe-90 said:
My what a big climb-down. You must have a head for heights, Softus.
My what an inane comment. You must be an idiot.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
And the automatic doubling of speeding penalties in roadworks.

you taking the ****? fair enough slowing down when work is being done, after all, i wouldnt want to be working very close to cars travelling at 70, but what about when there isnt workmen there?

roadworks near me had a sign up saying that the speed reduction remains in place over the holiday for your safety. please note this was on a motorway, and all the cones were lined up along the central reservation, absolutly no difference. now, if the 50 is for 'safety' then what the **** is the speed doing at 70?!

Speed doesnt kill. inappropriate use of speed kills.

ban-all-sheds said:
Softus said:
I once reported an unmarked police car that undertook me on a two-lane stretch of the A1M
"Undertook" - what does that mean?

My driving instructor used to say "If you undertake, you'll need an undertaker......"

securespark said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Softus said:
I once reported an unmarked police car that undertook me on a two-lane stretch of the A1M
"Undertook" - what does that mean?

My driving instructor used to say "If you undertake, you'll need an undertaker......"
There exists a 'bumpr sticker'
Left side for Undertaker, right for Overtaker
The part missing ... reading this - tailgater

;)

Back