TV Cooking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone actually ever watched a TV chef cooking something and subsequently gone and tried to reproduce it at home? I, for one, never have.
Like a lot of people, I/we might have gone and bought a book by one of these cooks and maybe tried something from there, but once in a blue moon of a month of Sundays.

If the overriding opinion is that our own experience is typical, it makes one wonder what the purpose of these programs actually is. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Fat people love a good cookery show.

As long as there's a Red pepper or carrot thrown in at the end, for good measure, it's healthy. :D

Has anyone actually ever watched a TV chef cooking something and subsequently gone and tried to reproduce it at home? I, for one, never have.
Like a lot of people, I/we might have gone and bought a book by one of these cooks and maybe tried something from there, but once in a blue moon of a month of Sundays.

If the overriding opinion is that our own experience is typical, it makes one wonder what the purpose of these programs actually is. :confused:

The whole purpose of the programme is to sell the accompanying book. I remember there was a whole series of programmes by our Delia who showed us how to cook lovely dishes but failed to tell us the quantities of ingredients. You had to buy the book to find out.

I remember there was a whole series of programmes by our Delia who showed us how to cook lovely dishes but failed to tell us the quantities of ingredients. You had to buy the book to find out.

A proper cook would know the quantities ie: granny,a handful of this a handful of that and a pinch of that.

Sponsored Links
My favourite meal, and one which I confess I am remarkably good at making, I have yet to see produced by any TV chef.

I remember there was a whole series of programmes by our Delia who showed us how to cook lovely dishes but failed to tell us the quantities of ingredients. You had to buy the book to find out.

A proper cook would know the quantities ie: granny,a handful of this a handful of that and a pinch of that.

A proper cook wouldn't need to watch the programme though.

it looks easy when its all measured out in different bowls ready for chucking in, i wouldnt like to wash up after them! ive never understood it, its probably because otherwise theyd just be sat at the sofas? dunno :confused:

I doubt if it is typical, actually. Squeaky is right about the desire to flog the associated book but it is also worth considering the impact that such programmes can have on the immediate demand for ingredients at local supermarket following a TV show. So if Jamie, say, does Pukka Mangoes en Sabayon on a Wednesday evening by Thursday lunchtime the Waitrose stock of mangoes is totally depleted. Can be a total bùgger. :confused:

I watch quite a few cookery programs, but I don’t see them so much as instructional as inspirational, If as you say Jamie is knocking together something from mango, I`d think “mmm yea mango, that’s an awesome idea, but if I throw some chilli and ground star anise on there that would go really well with the pulled pork I`ve got planned for Saturdays dinner.” I don`t see these recipes as there for following but more to take and adapt.

Sponsored Links
Back