twisting of copper core

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm replacing a length of 2.5 cable to a socket where it has been drilled though (previous owners i will add), is there a requirement for the wires to be twisted together when terminated?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
NO!!

The exact opposite infact.

Twisting the ends together weakens the copper, and just causes more work when it comes to fault finding time.

No requirement at all, in fact I don't like conductors twisted together.
Imagine the terminal screw putting all its pressure on one conductor due to the twist. I've seen many cases of snapped conductors due to this.
I prefer them to enter the terminal side by side and have equal pressure exerted on them.

No - It weakens the cable if you twist - The copper work hardens and becomes 'brittle'.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your replies from the 3 of you. I hoped that's what you would say. I have tried twisting them and they broke and with the new Mk socket I'm putting on they don't fit in the terminal location (it has a spur off the ring socket) even if twisted tight - and as you point out to test/fault find later causes a headache. What threw me is every other socket in the house (1974) has twisted wires.

I prefer them to enter the terminal side by side and have equal pressure exerted on them.

Would this till be the case with 3 as said in my above reply, for a spur as three won't sit side by side, one will have to go on top?

Yep keep them all straight.

I think the twisting of conductor ends dates back to when stranded imperial cables were used.

Old habits die hard.

"Mr. Twisty" installed the original electrics in my house. It has been a PIA making changes, or even doing the PI. In some cases I found about 10cm of cpc twisted together!

It's a long time since I studied materials physics, however IIRC "work hardening" initially strengthens the metal due to removal of grain boundaries. I believe it only becomes brittle after repeated damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back