UK PM Theresa May announces plan to call snap general election on 8 June

Sponsored Links
Did a cracking job. Just decided not to ignore them unlike the Tories.

trouble is he did not mobalise enough of em & he/labour will never win an election un-less he gets the support of the older generation(?) as well

tis the way it is.

trouble is he did not mobalise enough of em & he/labour will never win an election un-less he gets the support of the older generation(?) as well

tis the way it is.
If Tory's dementia tax, pension cuts, NHS cuts, etc, turns away older voters, they will still vote, just not Tory.
It is not only about attracting voters, it is also about keeping voters on side.

Sponsored Links
It was not a last minute offer, it was in their manifesto

The abolition of tuition fees was, but I beleive the offer to write off the current debts was a last minute addition. And the manner that he started saying that the tuition fees would be abolished from the very next term ( whereas most pledges come into effect in a year or two) heighten the impression that it's was nothing more or less than a bribe.

On that basis, anything in any party's manifesto can be described as a bribe.

Soooooooooooooooo true; but I don't think that could apply to the so called dementia tax.

And therein lies the difference between them. Labour and the Lib dems promise giveways to get votes, but the tories will throw in difficult proposals, hence why they haven't had a majority for so long. The problem is that the country can't afford to keep giving away freebies for ever, and all they're doing, is dumping the problems on to the next generation.

Soooooooooooooooo true; but I don't think that could apply to the so called dementia tax.
Unless it was aimed at the higher tax payers, who would see their taxes reduced?
So they were just aiming at a different socio/economic group.
As John pointed out some days ago, we all pay into an insurance scheme to insure against the chances of the problems affecting us.......It is called NI.

The problem is that the country can't afford to keep giving away freebies for ever, and all they're doing, is dumping the problems on to the next generation.
But the Tories will have to give away freebies to DUP and NI in order to 'nurture' the alliance.

Well, not so much freebies, (but yes there will be some for each party) but really more concessions than freebies. Writing off £70bn to clear student debts is a freebie.

Agreeing not to go against the LBGT community where the DUP would try and do so is more of a concession, and a juggling act. This is going to be an interesting one to resolve, and it'll show the real mettle of TM - that's if she hasn't been replaced by then.

Well, not so much freebies, (but yes there will be some for each party) but really more concessions than freebies.
At a cost to other areas of the UK. Which could be as much as replacement of the whole EU contribution to NI. We know that the DUP are experienced and hard negotiators.

Writing off £70bn to clear student debts is a freebie.
Or an investment in education of our young people.

Agreeing not to go against the LBGT community where the DUP would try and do so is more of a concession, and a juggling act.
And as I alluded to in another post, the recent star act Ruth Davidson is openly gay, and will put LBGT rights above party!

This is going to be an interesting one to resolve, and it'll show the real mettle of TM -
She has willingly opened up yet another area of discussion and negotiation, even though, by any imagination, she has the biggest negotiation in a very long time awaiting her. It is almost like she is postponing the difficult job for the piffling trifle jobs.
As Katya Adler suggested, the EU have had nearly 12 months to prepare for Brexit, they are ready and have all their ducks in a row.
Now TM (and UK) have to rethink their Brexit objectives, and their plan (if they had one).
BTW, I did in another post suggest that DUP want a hard Brexit. That was my mistake. They actually want a soft Brexit, a very soft Ireland border, etc.
So TM's idea of no deal/bad deal etc is on the bonfire. Hence the need for her to rethink the objectives!
The tail will be wagging the dog!

With the pro-EU MPs (including the Scottish MPs!) in the Tories, I think it will test more than her mettle!

Unfortunately, I fear a return of Farage's divisive politics. Certainly by the next election, if TM is forced to re-run it.

And we should all consider Brenda's reaction, "what another one!"

Last edited:
Of course not. Flattered that you would fantasize about it though little one;)

Correct.

My image of Mitch66.........

upload_2017-6-10_15-14-20.png

(y)

Ha ha. If it gets you off, dream on. Never had you down as gay though.

Sponsored Links
Back