UK social security payments 'at lowest level since launch of welfare state'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...at-lowest-level-since-launch-of-welfare-state

Social security payments have hit their lowest level since the launch of the welfare state, excluding millions from mainstream society and fuelling food bank use, according to research.

The £73 standard weekly allowance for universal credit, the government’s flagship benefit claimed by 2.3 million people, is now equivalent to 12.5% of median earnings. By contrast, when unemployment benefit was introduced in 1948 it was worth 20%.

Forty per cent of UK adults – equivalent to 21 million people – are not confident of having a decent standard of living in 10 years’ time, compared with 43% who are confident, it found. More than half of voters said concern about poverty and inequality in society would influence their vote.

Sad to see so many in society are struggling.

Sponsored Links
We have food banks, long hospital waiting lists, GPs almost impossible to see, disabled and others having benefits stopped. Shocking.

This winter will be harsh.

Sponsored Links
do you think it should be hushed up, then?

Yeah, best keep quiet about it.

Tory election pledge: we'll increase spending in all the areas that we cut and maybe bring us back to where we should be
The people: Yah, go Tories!

Labour and Liberals: We'll increase spending in all the areas that were cut and give more so in real terms people are as well off as they were 10 years ago
The people: Bloody commies!

We have food banks, long hospital waiting lists, GPs almost impossible to see, disabled and others having benefits stopped. Shocking.

This winter will be harsh.

Yet they will vote for more of this because Brexit has to be done.

I am grateful for my upbringing and have never had to be exposed to this but I did once venture into the ex mining pits of east yorkshire and I remember the words of my friend - it's worse than Lebanon.

These depressed communities who have suffered harshly because of the closure of mines and lack of investment and Austerity cuts will be voting Tory for further harsh economic times.

Yeah, best keep quiet about it.

Tory election pledge: we'll increase spending in all the areas that we cut and maybe bring us back to where we should be
The people: Yah, go Tories!

Labour and Liberals: We'll increase spending in all the areas that were cut and give more so in real terms people are as well off as they were 10 years ago
The people: Bloody commies!

There has been a lost decade of wage growth.

I did once venture into the ex mining pits of east yorkshire
Well what a selfless freekin hero you are.Or did you take a wrong turning.Give a few of your properties rent free,even just over Christmas if you are so concerned.

A bit strange that a great burden to the NHS is obesity related when so many rely on food banks.

Not at all strange. Obesity is a sickness affecting relatively wealthy people.
Food banks are needed by people who are extremely poor.

Don't confuse the two groups.

Sponsored Links
Back