Unable to print

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Running XP and every time I try to print I get

windows explorer has encountered an error and needs to close

I have uninstalled then re-installed the printer (HP)
I have stopped-started the spooler

This happens when I try to print from any application, even when I try to print a test page

Sponsored Links
When did it start happening?
Have you installed any other software lately, including windows updates?
Have you installed any other hardware?
Have you got the latest driver from HP?

When did it start happening?
Have you installed any other software lately, including windows updates?
Have you installed any other hardware?
Have you got the latest driver from HP?

Thanks for replying Neo

been happening for a while, it is a standalone printer in work.

Colleague can print fine but I get the error when I log into the PC. He can print in other offices to various other printers so I thought might be local profile related so re-created profile but still happens. As he can print thought that would rule out driver issue.

Not had any updates or installed any new software/hardware since printer was installed

When I Google it everything points to spooler but thought that would stop anyone from printing, don't really want to start messing about with registry unless I really have to

Sponsored Links
What is make and model of printer?
How are you connected to the printer?
How is you colleague connected to the printer?
Can you print in other offices to various printers?

As it is at work, do you have an IT guy to try and sort it?

I know this is a bit late - But if you are printing via your USB port, have you tried using one of the other ports on your PC.

The reason I say this is because a collegue had problems printing to our site HP printer (Standalone device) when with my laptop no problems at all (Same make!). After checking I found that one of his USB ports didn't seem to like the printer although the Port worked fine on memory sticks etc. Problem was solved by him simply not using the offending port for connection to the printer! - Still no idea what the problem really was but would guess a minor hardware fault on the port.

I cannot recall the error messages he got though, so it may not be the same as you.

Back