Under wall unit lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

This is fairly straight forward question - just need the answer confirming its ok. (i think it is but would like confirmation!)

I have some 3 flourescent strip lights to go under my wall units , the kind that link togetherbut due to the spacing of them, im only going to be able to link two of them together.

My intention was to have all three controlled by one fused switch fused at 3a. (3x16w bulbs)

Question is: Can i connect two feeds to the one fused switch? - one cable will feed one light located just above the fused switch, the other will go up behind the wall units and and across over a flyover plinth above the extractor and then down behind the wall units the other side feeding the remaining two lights.

This way, im thinking that i can then control all 3 using the one switch.

Replies welcomed as to how this sounds.

Sponsored Links
Why is it not possible to link the first light to the second, if the first light is just above the FCU can't be much difference in spacing?

That'll be fine - remember to keep to the correct zones if you bury the cables in the wall, and to RCD protect them ditto.

Also don't forget that it's notifiable...

The linkning cables arent long enough - plus they have male and female ends - if i run one up behind the first unit, i cant connect a longer cable to go over the extractor as the plugs dont marry up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks BAN - lights are well enough from hobs etc (over 500mm) and the spark who signed the kitchen wiring off said that i,d be ok to just connect up to the load side of the FCU - told him what it was gonna feed and he seemed to think all was fine - just told me to get on with it ! :LOL:

The linkning cables arent long enough - plus they have male and female ends - if i run one up behind the first unit, i cant connect a longer cable to go over the extractor as the plugs dont marry up.

1) The ends do marry up.

2)
cableextend1.jpg

Thanks BAN - lights are well enough from hobs etc (over 500mm) and the spark who signed the kitchen wiring off said that i,d be ok to just connect up to the load side of the FCU - told him what it was gonna feed and he seemed to think all was fine - just told me to get on with it ! :LOL:
They are fixed.

It's in a kitchen.

You are adding lights.

It is notifiable.

Mad.

so, two sets of lights into one fused switch is ok then?
Just the same as if you linked them.

Point taken Ban - i was gonna cut the plugs off and use a wee JB like you have shown.

As to notifiable - they have been notified! - not my fault if he doesnt wanna come back and tick another box - obviously got bigger fish to fry (or electrocute :LOL: )

Maybe - they are cheap b and q jobbies so im unsure if they do longer accessories - worth checking out tho i guess.................

How about one flex from the spur to a j/b above the units, then drop down with the two light leads one to each side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back