Understanding how my boiler operates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First of all apologies for having zero knowledge about any of this… But our energy bill was through the roof this month.

Both these switches by the main boiler in cupboard were on. Then there’s this other one in the kitchen. I just need some understanding of how this set up operates.

First photo - Electric meter

Second and third - heater in hallway cupboard

Fourth and fifth - unit in kitchen
IMG_4696.jpeg
IMG_4692.jpeg
IMG_4697.jpeg
IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only way to not spend money burning energy is to stop burning it.
This means turning the heat and lighting down or off.

There is no miracle cure.

There are lots of things you can do to invest in reducing future bills but they cost money as well.

Lots of websites are available to give clear advice to reduce energy bills by closing windows, blocking draughts, using timers etc.
As for the switches, do you suspect these are for a immersion heater?

If so, check them out.

Sorry maybe you misunderstood. I’m wanting to know in detail how my set up functions. I’ve seen stuff about economy 7 but clearly I’m not on that.

Is it your electricity bill that's high ?
Your hot water cylinder has 2 electric immersion heaters, expensive to run, and are controlled by the 2 switches on the wall. In your pics 2&3 ,just above the yellow labelled box. One of the switches appears to be on.

Sponsored Links
Electric was £105, gas was £90. This is for two of us in a two bed flat. I was told gas is cheaper since we lived before in an all electric flat, which was much cheaper each month.

Shall I turn both those switches completely off?

Actually ,not too sure if there are 2 immersion heaters,possibly only one.
Is the bill estimated ? Is it your first bill ? If so ,did you take meter reading when you moved in ?
Heating the domestic hot water by using the gas boiler is cheaper than electric immersion heater.

Actually ,not too sure if there are 2 immersion heaters,possibly only one.
Is the bill estimated ? Is it your first bill ? If so ,did you take meter reading when you moved in ?
Heating the domestic hot water by using the gas boiler is cheaper than electric immersion heater.
It’s not estimated. Second bill. Took readings when moved in, first months was fairly high too… So we can turn off the immersion? We have two bathrooms so will the gas boiler in kitchen do everything? Sorry for so many questions

Electric was £105, gas was £90. This is for two of us in a two bed flat. I was told gas is cheaper since we lived before in an all electric flat, which was much cheaper each month.

Shall I turn both those switches completely off?
Sounds reasonable tbh.

If gas is cheaper why would our bill be about £70 more. Worrying from our perspective
You've standing charges as well.

Make sure your immersion heater is off unless you need a boost, or, the boiler is heat only in which case being careful with the times is all you can do.

As the poster above says, you have usually two electric heaters in an immersion system. One at the top, one at the bottom.

The top one is for sinks, the bottom one for baths.

Select as required.

Why not just use the gas boiler ?
Surely your electric bill alone isn't 70£ more ?
Yeah this was my question, I can just turn off both switches seen on left in picture #2?

No electricity alone isn’t that of course…

Show us a pic in focus of the two switches ,and the 2 white cables dropping from their vicinity ,one comes from one of the switches ,where does the second wire come from ?

Thanks ,only one immersion. Not sure what the second switch does ,maybe nothing, would need to see the wiring connected to it.
Do you know how your set up works now ,or need it explaining ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back