Update on newbie doing Drive belt progress, need further help please

Sponsored Links
thank you, I will try this can't remember if I did already but will check again. shall I hold it with my fingers side-side then top to bottom and feel for movement, should it not have any movement at all ?

Can you tell me what might be causing that groove along the belt ? It will shred the belt if I drive which is why I am not going to drive it. it became grooved like this after about 30 seconds, is that the result of a bad pulley/bearing ?

Also why is the belt slipping off the crankshaft pulley a little bit ? thank you
Yes, rock it from side to side and spin it. It should be completely silent. It could be the pulley that’s putting the mark on there but its not cutting is it? Just making a mark. It could be that that is pushing the belt off the crank pulley. Either way, that pulley is not running straight and that needs sorting before looking any further.

These are known for crankshaft pulley to come adrift from rubber so that is what i would be looking at.

Sponsored Links
Yes, rock it from side to side and spin it. It should be completely silent. It could be the pulley that’s putting the mark on there but its not cutting is it? Just making a mark. It could be that that is pushing the belt off the crank pulley. Either way, that pulley is not running straight and that needs sorting before looking any further.
thank you very much for this.
I will do that tomorrow and will even video me doing it, maybe to each pulley and upload it to here.
I don't think the groove is a cut, not yet anyway but it looks at the same place on the belt as the old belt which was all cut and frayed.
did you mean the pulley that may be marking the belt could be what is the reason for belt slipping off the crankshaft or did you mean the tensioner could be ?
what if I spin the pulley and it is silent with no sound or movement, does it still need changing for not being straight ?

thank you !!

The crankshaft pulley is two metal pieces with a rubber sandwich in between. In time the rubber delaminates from the metal pieces and the pulley falls apart. Sometimes the pulley falls off and the belt with it, sometimes the pulley shoots through the radiator, if its a Transit - but not yours!
So, its belt off again, and lever the pulley with some timber or whatever just to see if it moves - it should be really firm.
John :)

Feel free to run the engine with the belt off....you won't be charging the battery but at least you'll see if that pulley is running true.

Feel free to run the engine with the belt off....you won't be charging the battery but at least you'll see if that pulley is running true.
thank you for that advice, will it not harm anything that way ?

will I see pulley , I assume it wil be spinning too quick for me to see it operating properly

The crankshaft pulley is two metal pieces with a rubber sandwich in between. In time the rubber delaminates from the metal pieces and the pulley falls apart. Sometimes the pulley falls off and the belt with it, sometimes the pulley shoots through the radiator, if its a Transit - but not yours!
So, its belt off again, and lever the pulley with some timber or whatever just to see if it moves - it should be really firm.

hi
this is crankshaft pulley isnt it

if it is on firm without movement does that mena it is completely ok ? I had a quick feel earleir and it felt fine but that was only with ym hand movements

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 92
I would say the crankshaft pulley (Harmonic Damper) will be starting to delaminate at 190,000 miles.

Take belt off and double check the rest first though!.

I would say the crankshaft pulley (Harmonic Damper) will be starting to delaminate at 190,000 miles.

Take belt off and double check the rest first though!.

hi mate
could the crank pulley cause a thud once engine has been turned off ? this started the exact moment a mechanic poked a bar through wheel area trying to find different issue at time. that exact moment onwards it thuds when the engine is turned off , worse the longer the engine has been running, used to be itermittent but now always does it.
ti has been like this for 2 years with the thudding
flywheel and clutch were replaced 7 weeks earlier and all was fine until he poked bar through wheel area. I tuend engine off right after he did that and it thudded. could it be the crank pulley then as he did poke the bar in that area

the rattle is the exhaust

a few months ago a garage did test this when they were trying to find the thud but said the crank pulley was fine
thank you

You could put a paint line across the crank pulley to see if the inner and outer stay in same position or move as you turn engine off?.

what if I spin the pulley and it is silent with no sound or movement, does it still need changing for not being straight ?
If the pulley has no play in it, then whatever it is bolted to will be bent and will need changing. If it’s the tensioner, it will come complete with a new pulley.

Sponsored Links
Back