Using a MK Grid switch, inc dimmers INSIDE bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our bathroom is being re-decorated and as part of this, the lighting changing - the controls for this are due to be an MK Grid switch 4 gang - to operate the lighting in various locations of the room (ceiling, alcoves, bathroom mirror etc...)

Now, looking over the regulatations, the 17th suggests Zone 0, 1 and 2 - the old 'Zone 3' done away with

information I found for Zone 3:

"Zone 3 is the rest of the bathroom area outside the other zones and in areas where no flowing water is to be. There are No IP requirements in this area. "

My question - from the above information and since measuring it out, there is a nice rectangle of space inside the bathroom, that is not classed as any zone - therefore, I understand I can have the switch INSIDE the bathroom

there is zero chance of water splash in this location, there is zero chance of being in the shower tray and touching the light switch - its is too far to reach

I have tried to mock up a diagram of the wall it is on and the zone 17th edition that I think I grasp

Is this safe? I see no reason why the plastic fitting cannot exist INSIDE the bathroom??? Thanks for any advice and comments on this matter :)

(will post pic in a reply)

Sponsored Links
picture here:

23469888.gif

Bathroom is 3m by 2.4 (rectangle)

EDIT: crude birds eye view:

birdyx.gif

followed info from here: http://diydata.com/electrics/bathroom_electrics/bathroom_electrics.php

opposite wall to this will have the Sink and Toilet - again, I have measure back from this and have found a neat rectangle of space, that is in no zone from both water sources

actual shower head is on same wall as sink and toilet, so no where near switching

hope this is enough detail lol..... last minute realisation, before the tilers turn up

17th also says RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom, this will be done :)

Condensation does not respect the zone boundaries.

So even if it is "legal" to fit the switch can you be 100% certain that it will be safe if wet from condensation ?.

If you really must have the switches inside the bathroom then consider using air bellow operated switches such as Herga The accessible switches are non electrical and therefore safe. The actual switches are in a dry place outside the bathroom

The switch is more than 60cm from the bath/shower, therefore it can be fitted there.

There are no zones around sinks or toilets.

Sponsored Links
There is a dimmer that operates from a contact closure, As long as the contact is closed for it cycles from dim to bright and back to dim. If I remember a short closure toggles it on or off without affecting the brightness.

How about drilling thro and fitting switch on other side of the wall?? Although I know you wana control lighting while your using the room.

The switch is more than 60cm from the bath/shower, therefore it can be fitted there.

There are no zones around sinks or toilets.

Thank you for the information, this makes me feel more confident about the placement. They will be further 'sheiled' by the wall mounted cupboards too.

There is a dimmer that operates from a contact closure, As long as the contact is closed for it cycles from dim to bright and back to dim. If I remember a short closure toggles it on or off without affecting the brightness.

Thanks for your insight, I will try and look around for something similar - we have Neutral at the switch area, so something might work out. Would prefer a similar look to 'traditional' switches however.

How about drilling thro and fitting switch on other side of the wall?? Although I know you wana control lighting while your using the room.

Main reason for keeping the switches inside the room, is to keep the wall outside the bathroom and the landing space free of extra swtiches - keeping a clean wall for the pending wallpaper. A four gang outside the door, almost at the top of the stairs is going to look horrible.

The wall, being internal block, is 'thin' - would have trouble fixing on the other side now the switch back box has been chased out - that would be the backup plan, in case of extreme comments against keeping it inside :)

Use a remote controlled dimmer mounted on the ceiling

Sounds interesting, but is this like a small 'tv' remote - very likely to be lost and a bit fiddly to use ? or did I mis-understand. We have four outputs to switch. The concern mentioned before by a user was condensation, if heat rises etc... then will this not be even worse, being on the ceiling?

Or pull-cord dimmer?

Thanks for your suggestion. We have four outputs to switch - having four pull cords is going to be 'silly' :) it is of course another option

Thank you all very much for your replies. Not ignoring any advice, but looking at it, it does sound 'safe' enough for general use.

1) outside any zone and far enough from any water source
2) plastic construction faceplate/switches - no chance of live upon touch
3) RCD protection on lighting circuit and shower pump, as per 17th

although Grid Dimmers are being used for three of the four switches, they will generally be set at the required dimmer level and left in place - therefore only requiring a 'click' on and off - limited 'touch' time

Thanks again for any assistance :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back