Vaillant diverter valve Improved design?

Sponsored Links
You gave the only vague answer when I asked if the diverter valve has been improved by saying Vaillant have polished their turd a bit. No real usefull information there.

Nobody actually managed to answer why only the bath/shower was getting low DHW temp but the other taps were fine.

I thought I had answered your diverter valve question.

Water temperatures from a combi can vary according to the flow rate, simple physics.

Water temperatures from a thermostatic shower are cooler than the hot water input because they all are designed to add about 10% of cold even at the highest setting. I presume they are worried about people scalding themselves.

Tony

It wasn't just doing it on the shower though. It was doing on the hot tap on the bath as well. All the hot taps and shower indicate 8 litres per minute when at full flow. The CH was also coming on with the DHW but only when the bath/shower was using DHW.

My thermostatic shower appears to give 100% hot water as it achieves the same temp as the hot tap.

Sponsored Links
I stay away from thermostatic showers.

But, usually after fixing the boiler, often get asked why the shower is cooler and find that's the reason.

In one case to get it sorted quickly I had to restrict the cold flow into the shower.

in the past if i remember right was something to do with the cold pressure

edit just seen agile post

The shower temp is fine now the diverter valve has been replaced. I just can't get my head round why the faulty diverter valve was only effecting the bath/shower.

My thermostatic shower has been absolutely fine. Why stay away from them?

Because I get called or asked when they are not working!

Seem to be a lot of failures within five years.

A replacement cartridge is about 80% of the cost of a new one.

Many times they can interact with a combi boiler and give cyclic temperature variations. Usually cured by lowering the combi hot water temp. But some Worcester boilers don't have any temperature control.

Most are installed without accessible isolation valves.

Water temperatures from a thermostatic shower are cooler than the hot water input because they all are designed to add about 10% of cold even at the highest setting.
So if I set DHW temp @ boiler to 38c along with thermostatic shower mixer @ 40c should I expect the hot water temperature @ shower outlet to be less than 38c due to a percentage of cold water being mixed with the hot?

Because I get called or asked when they are not working!

Seem to be a lot of failures within five years.

A replacement cartridge is about 80% of the cost of a new one.

Many times they can interact with a combi boiler and give cyclic temperature variations. Usually cured by lowering the combi hot water temp. But some Worcester boilers don't have any temperature control.

Most are installed without accessible isolation valves.
Where do you get all this nonsense from?

Mine is coming up to 5 years old and the only problem I've had with mine is the gauze filter on the inlet got blocked once but that's not the showers fault.

I'm not sure what these cyclic temperature fluctuations are that you're refering to. I've never experienced these myself. The idea of them is that they maintain a constant temperature which mine does very well even when my Mrs decides to start doing the washing up whilst I'm in the shower.

Mine is a Grohe and the cartridge is less than 50% of the original purchase price of the shower. The gauze inlet gaskets are expensive but I found a 3/4" tap washer works perfectly. The gauze sits perfectly in the ID of the tap washer.

My shower was £200. A quick Google search and I found a cartridge for £56.58. Mine was replaced under warranty though. Grohe give a no questions asked 5 year warranty. I just emailed them saying it was faulty with a copy of the receipt and they sent me a new one in the post.

It wasn't actually faulty but it's not a bad thing that it's been replaced as it will be out of warranty soon.

I replaced the cartridge to an aqualisa combined bath/shower deck mixer a couple of weeks ago , cost of cartridge was 30% of the cost of replacement unit.
Although there are a few different types of cartridges depending on pressures (grey/pink/black etc) most are interchangeable regardless of gravity/mains/low pressure/unbalanced....
I really don't know why Agile feels the urge to post on matters that he knows nothing about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back