Vaillant Ecomax not achieving temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Vaillant 828/2E boiler in a building that we are currently renovating. Hot water seems to work fine, but the radiators don't get hot enough to warm the house. There is VRT340f bluetooth controller, but this is not in commission and the boiler currently runs in manual mode (indicated I believe by the flashing red LED).

Problem seems to be that the boiler consistently cuts out at 53 degr even when the radiator temperature is set to e.g: 80. When set to less than 53, e.g: 45 it cuts out OK.

We explored the various d. settings wondering if someone had fiddled with them but couldn't spot one that seemed relevant. Did however notice that when cutting out at 53 degr, a status code S.5 is briefly shown, even though according to the manual there is no such code. I'm stumped - maybe we've been hacked by the kremlin? Very grateful for any ideas on this.

Sponsored Links
We have a Vaillant 828/2E boiler in a building that we are currently renovating. Hot water seems to work fine, but the radiators don't get hot enough to warm the house. There is VRT340f bluetooth controller, but this is not in commission and the boiler currently runs in manual mode (indicated I believe by the flashing red LED).

Problem seems to be that the boiler consistently cuts out at 53 degr even when the radiator temperature is set to e.g: 80. When set to less than 53, e.g: 45 it cuts out OK.

We explored the various d. settings wondering if someone had fiddled with them but couldn't spot one that seemed relevant. Did however notice that when cutting out at 53 degr, a status code S.5 is briefly shown, even though according to the manual there is no such code. I'm stumped - maybe we've been hacked by the kremlin? Very grateful for any ideas on this.

You haven't been hacked, you don't know what you're doing with the setup. S.5 will only show briefly on startup, it's not configurable. Who are we?

Did not observe s.5 on startup - it showed up on burner shutdown. Not documented by Vaillant, so might indicate a known problem. Looks like a control system issue so would have thought adjustable parameters in d. series may well be relevant.

Andrew, things will likely improve if you bring the controller back into commission. Does it need batteries?

Whats the ratio of flow to return temps, if the return temp is close to the flow temp the boiler will cut out as the house rads are not radiating the heat being produced. Ensure at least 1 rad (maybe the corridor or the room that has the stat in) has its TRV fully open

Good luck

Sponsored Links
SOLUTION!

Thanks v. much kaos24 - you cracked it!

Flow through circuit is fine. Return about 14 degr below flow at cut off.

Put batteries back in the thermostat and restored the boiler to automatic, it now happily heats up to the flow temp on the dial. Reading the VRT-360f manual, I discovered that the manual (flashing red) setting results in the application of a 50 degr set point which over-rides the dial setting. Can't imagine why - but there you go!

Many thanks once again

Nice to hear of a boiler doing what it is expected to!

kaos24, with posts deleted, telling tales ,tut tut tut :LOL: . its hard to talk to someone when you don't know who your talking too , well by name anyway . if you was trying too prove a point then fair enough , just say so ;) . remember there are ways to tell if someone is on the forum and when and this morning was very telling;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back