Vaillant Ecotec 937 or Alpha CD50?

Yes, they've obviously cracked that one - odd how the solution has manifested itself in a domestic boiler :LOL:

Now, of course, my dilemma worsens because I can also consider a Worcester Highflow 440 - do these need a G3 cert to install like the CD50?

The 440? No. Only the Alpha need the G3 certificate. The Ethos is cheaper than the 440, and outperforms it.

Suppliers? See the makers. Mikrofill are in the Midlands and have nationwide dealers.

Sponsored Links
First off, thank you for your help, you've replied very promptly each time I've posted!

Secondly, it's just occurred to me that my cold mains supply performance may have a bearing on this - I measured it the other day for the Trevi Boost, and I'm getting 19 l/min @ 1.8 bar out of the kitchen tap.

Usually any efficiencies quoted above 95 -96% are Nett rather than the proper british gross. You need to ignore Nett and always go by the 'real' gross figure.

I wish I was clever enough to look up info on the internet and just spout it off word for word on here to some unsuspecting OP who then would get the wrong impression that I knew what I was talking about and actually new how to install and service gas appliances :eek:

OP you need advice from an installation expert, not a bookworm :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
First off, thank you for your help, you've replied very promptly each time I've posted!

Secondly, it's just occurred to me that my cold mains supply performance may have a bearing on this - I measured it the other day for the Trevi Boost, and I'm getting 19 l/min @ 1.8 bar out of the kitchen tap.

Can it be upgraded? Well worth doing. Once done it is done for ever.

No idea - I suspect I'd have to have my drive way dug up though, wouldn't I?

You won't find me pretending to give advice on what I don't fit, fix or know enough about to NOT have to just quote MI's parrot fashion.

OP I know nothing about these boilers that Drivel also knows nothing about.

Ask him a direct question like how many boilers he has fitted, fixed etc.

Ask him if he is qualified with ACS or CORGI reg?

Even a monkey at the zoo can give the same advice as him.

He is dangerous. Heed the term 'buyer beware' when listening to his drivel.

You won't find me pretending to give advice on what I don't fit, fix or know enough about

Your mind can't stretch to anything beyond which you have taken to pieces. And you didn't even know know how the 937 worked after fitting a few . Stay on the tools, don't aspire to anything else.

No idea - I suspect I'd have to have my drive way dug up though, wouldn't I?

Do you have an attached garage? Where does the water main go in? It can be diverted through the garden.

The entire frontage of the house to both boundaries to the left and right is tarmac'd, unfortunately.

It was you who couldn't find out how the 937 works, the exact workings aren't on the internet.

As a factory trained and approved Vaillant installer and in Vaillants own words, 'one of their most conscientous installers with a vastly lower than average failure rate on my installations', I know how they work and the manufacturing faults that have occured and the parts needed to be upgraded to stop future breakdowns.

As you are not competent or qualified in any form of gas work I am unfortunately unable to let you know the inner workings.

Stick to your specifying products from what you can glean off the internet and out of manufacturers brochure.

My job is complete on this post now, I hope I have saved yet another poster the misfortunes of listening to your drivel.

Yes, they've obviously cracked that one - odd how the solution has manifested itself in a domestic boiler :LOL:

Now, of course, my dilemma worsens because I can also consider a Worcester Highflow 440 - do these need a G3 cert to install like the CD50?

Great boiler but expensive and with all WB's high hot water output boilers you need to consider the heating output,they are usually about 100,000BTU or 29KW-think the highflow is the same or may even be only 80K or 24KW so if you require more heating you'll need to go with a bigger heating output boiler.

The WB 37cdi is an excellent boiler BTW at 15.1 l/minute hot water but again only 29KW heating output.

Must say that Ethos boiler looks well worth considering.

Cheers,

Tony.

<snip>

... think the highflow is the same or may even be only 80K or 24KW so if you require more heating you'll need to go with a bigger heating output boiler.

The WB 37cdi is an excellent boiler BTW at 15.1 l/minute hot water but again only 29KW heating output.

Must say that Ethos boiler looks well worth considering.

Cheers,

Tony.

I've currently got a Potterton Netaheat 16-22 which does an ok job of heating up the house - I'm reinsulating as well, so a CH output of 24 or 29kW will be fine, I think.

Cheers,

Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back