Vaillant Ecotec 937 or Alpha CD50?

gas4you said:
Keep going, you are just making yourself look even more incompetent

It is clear you don't know how the 937 operates or even follow a simple in-series tank diagram. And they let you loose on the public?

Sponsored Links
It may be clear to an incompetent fool like you, but as Vaillant approve me and not you, then yet again it says it all.

Go buy yourself a new stetson, then recommend a thermal store, oh no, next post a combi, oh no next post something else. You change your mind more than a w h o r e changes her knickers :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
It may be clear to an incompetent fool like you,

You don't know how it works or how to follow a simple diagram. Stop digging a big hole for yourself.

If I might add my tuppence worth... if the 937 was simply 2 tanks in series (acting as 1 tank as DD said earlier) then why do they bother with 2 tanks? why not just have 1 big 15 litre tank?

Sponsored Links
DrChaz said:
If I might add my tuppence worth... if the 937 was simply 2 tanks in series (acting as 1 tank as DD said earlier) then why do they bother with 2 tanks? why not just have 1 big 15 litre tank?

It may be for better packaging. They are side by side

as we have fitted 4 alphas i can say they are comparable with the 837 but have a slightly better flow rate
haven't fitted a washing machine yet :LOL: :LOL:

kevindgas said:
as we have fitted 4 alphas i can say they are comparable with the 837 but have a slightly better flow rate
haven't fitted a washing machine yet :LOL: :LOL:

At 14 l/mi to 18 l/min I should think so. The Vaillants flowrate will drop in the winter while the stored water Alpha will remain constant.

Thanks for all the info guys - I got home today after working away to measure up and see what fits where, and both the 937 and CD50 aren't going to fit anywhere without ripping the kitchen to pieces, so I might have to settle for the 837 and hope that it copes with the demands of any potential new tenants!

Well, I don't know if anyone is going to see this resurrected thread, but after getting conflicting reports from plumbers, I decided to stick with like-for-like and keep my HW cylinder and get a bigger CW storage cistern to provide for all the DHW demand, along with a Trevi venturi shower for decent washing pressure. Until, of course, the plumber waited until buying the shower and the new CW tank before telling me the tank wouldn't fit in the loft space available!

However, the one bright idea that popped out of this was putting a storage combi in the present airing cupboard space, so I'm back to the idea of a Vaillant 937 or Alpha CD50, and in the VERY near future as all this crap is happening in the middle of a refurb. So, again, any comments on the merits of either in terms of best HW flowrate (mixed or otherwise) would be very gratefully received!

Well, I don't know if anyone is going to see this resurrected thread, but after getting conflicting reports from plumbers, I decided to stick with like-for-like and keep my HW cylinder and get a bigger CW storage cistern to provide for all the DHW demand, along with a Trevi venturi shower for decent washing pressure. Until, of course, the plumber waited until buying the shower and the new CW tank before telling me the tank wouldn't fit in the loft space available!

Were they mates of Fred Dibnah? I can see keeping the tanks, etc and going Trevi Boost showers (not cheap at all), but when you doing major works and new boiler is needed a high flow combi is the best solution for you. Some of these guys are in another world, doing what is best for them rather than the customer.

A friend is in the similar situation. I suggested two Trevi Boosts, but he said the boiler needs a new fan and is 16 years old. I suggested a high flow combi and cheaper mixers and no tanks or cylinders.

However, the one bright idea that popped out of this was putting a storage combi in the present airing cupboard space, so I'm back to the idea of a Vaillant 937 or Alpha CD50, and in the VERY near future as all this rubbish is happening in the middle of a refurb. So, again, any comments on the merits of either in terms of best HW flowrate (mixed or otherwise) would be very gratefully received!

Both are good. The Alpha is better as it stores more hot water. However Vaillant has a good reputation for reliablity.

Look at the Ethos 54C combi:
http://www.ethosboilers.co.uk/products_54c.php

Wall mounted and small. Delivers 23 litres/min @ 35C temperature rise for ever - it doesn't drop off as there is no stored water. It is small (a 937 is washing machine sized) and very well specced and uses a Gianonni heat exchanger, Grundfos pump, Honeywell 3-way vale, Dungs gas valve, with integral outside weather compensator. Best use an OpenTherm room temp controller like a Honeywell Chronotherm, to modulate the burner. They also have a secondary circulation kit to ensure instant DHW at the taps. It also has a keep warm DHW heat exchanger to prevent any combi lag. It is basically a downsized commercial boiler. Designed in the UK made in Holland.

Price? About £1200 to £1300 inc delivery plus VAT. Compare that to a system boiler, cylinder, controls, zone valves, etc. And compare it to a 937 and an Alpha too. You need an external expansion vessel and sealed system kit, which can go in the cupboard it is located.

It is a quality product.

The price seems comparable to the CD50 in that case. How on earth can they claim 108% efficiency though??

The price seems comparable to the CD50 in that case. How on earth can they claim 108% efficiency though??

"This ETHOS; is a high efficiency, condensing, combination Boiler. Flues are cooled below condensation point by a Spiranox heat exchanger made of stainless steel. This produces an additional heat which will contribute to the boiler efficiency, which is in excess of 107%. The European calculation method assumes 100% efficiency for appliances which do not condense and efficiencies higher than 100% for condensing appliances. "

http://www.mikrofill.co.uk/images/PDF/54-technical.pdf

Yes, they've obviously cracked that one - odd how the solution has manifested itself in a domestic boiler :LOL:

Now, of course, my dilemma worsens because I can also consider a Worcester Highflow 440 - do these need a G3 cert to install like the CD50?

Thanks Dr D - are you aware of any suppliers in the south-east? Worthing, Sussex, to be precise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back