Vaillant Flue Fall - With Pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Had boiler fitted today and the fall of the flue looks dramatic.

It looks like the first bend coming out of the boiler manifold dictates the fall.

Also it looks like flue angle into the manifold only just pops into the boiler terminal.

Is this install OK?

PS - forget the damage to the paint on the flue the intaller is back tomorrow to replace as his apprentice thought he would cut it to lenght on a metal pait or steps.

View media item 70484

Sponsored Links
Flue not screwed. Possibly not cemented either. Good job he's going back. Shocking soldering to boot. A mess.

Should be a 3 degrees fall. Yours may be a little more than that but its prob nothing to worry about, those scratches on the other hand, are unforgivable! Glad they're coming back to sort those for you!

Ps, he should have used that screwdriver he left behind to screw the flue ;)

Sponsored Links
Flue not screwed. Possibly not cemented either. Good job he's going back. Shocking soldering to boot. A mess.

Not screwed or cemented as they are back tomorrow to change it over due to damage of the paint.

It's too steep.

Looking at it, it looks to me that the bend dictates the fall?

:rolleyes:

It's too steep.

Ffs, if you are not going to listen to advice, why ask.

The inner flue seal could well be strained/damaged long term.

Tell them to read the manual.

Thanks - I was more trying to point out that I cannot see how it could be done with less fall - how can one get around this now the boiler is fixed into position?

If that elbow is fully pushed in then that collar doesn't fit round, that is why they send a shorter one with a horizontal flue. If you undo that collar just enough so the foam pad starts to come away and look in the through the gap I can guarantee its not completely push in.

He has used the wrong marking on the template when drilling the whole through (that one is for the 5" flue I think).

If in doute once the boiler has been commissioned and signed off through gas safe register then you can arrange an inspection

Easiest way to get around it would have been to fit the boiler in the correct position in the first place. Shoddy work i' m afraid

If that elbow is fully pushed in then that collar doesn't fit round, that is why they send a shorter one with a horizontal flue. If you undo that collar just enough so the foam pad starts to come away and look in the through the gap I can guarantee its not completely push in.

He has used the wrong marking on the template when drilling the whole through (that one is for the 5" flue I think).

If in doute once the boiler has been commissioned and signed off through gas safe register then you can arrange an inspection

Thanks Sir - do you mean the white collar with the vaillant logo on?
If so I need a shorter collar to allow the elbow to push in further onto the boiler manifold?

Thanks - I was more trying to point out that I cannot see how it could be done with less fall - how can one get around this now the boiler is fixed into position?[/quote]

Did they use an existing flue hole ? Only way round it is either cut a bit more out of the bottom of the hole or lift the boiler up a bit. I'd go for the first one.

Have they got the collars mixed up (thin one for the top of boiler, thicker one for the flue) ? Could be wrong though its been a while since i fitted a vaillant. Make sure they fit the flue screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back