Vaillant, Worcester, Viessman etc - who has the best warranty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of upgrading the boiler - and now looking at the usual suspects - Vaillant, Wocester, Viessman, Intergas, Atag(poss)

I know all offer depending on the model and who installs them 10 year warranties - I would like to know which of these companies has the best post sales cover and service or do they have terms that makes the 10 year warranty pretty much pointless.

I have Which membership and Wocester, Viessman and Vaillant are the top three so would be my first choice but I have looked at Atag and Intergas which seem like interesting options.

So when you need to use their warranties do they send out their own plumbers or ask you to send out the person who installed it?

Sponsored Links
Which magazine reports are largely unrealistic and rarely reflect real life. Take them with a pinch of salt. Many years ago I actually calculated their boiler testing routine only amounted to a few months boiler use...so a pointless excercise. Typical Which subscribers are often a naive lot.

Which magazine reports are largely unrealistic and rarely reflect real life. Take them with a pinch of salt. Many years ago I actually calculated their boiler testing routine only amounted to a few months boiler use...so a pointless excercise. Typical Which subscribers are often a naive lot.

But of the ones I listed who has the best warranty or post sales cover?

We are also looking for a new boiler,one of the manufactures (now a european subsidiary) listed in #1 will not be around 10years.
That comes from a trusted installer & engineer who did a work for our neighbour.
He now recommends products from BDR Thermea !

Sponsored Links
Which magazine reports are largely unrealistic

However when they survey their members, and get over twelve thousand completed responses, they can make a fair crack at identifying the reliable brands.

For example, last time I responded, I had needed no repairs in ten years. So I have no idea if spare parts are easy to get. So they survey engineers as well.

Aggregating responses will tell them if I was exceptional or typical.

22% of responding members have had faults with boilers bought since 2012, of whom some have needed more than one repair.

So this is not based on "a few months use."

If I was buying a boiler tomorrow, I'd want to know which brands are troublesome, and avoid them. Wouldn't you?

We are also looking for a new boiler,one of the manufactures (now a european subsidiary) listed in #1 will not be around 10years.
That comes from a trusted installer & engineer who did a work for our neighbour.
He now recommends products from BDR Thermea !

Which one is that??

Personally I dont beleive anything in WHICH either magazine or online, tried to tell an old fella who lives by which and bought a |Ferolli boiler because it had a good reputation in WHICH, skipped after 3 years, and he then fitted a Worcester again because WHICH recommended it, some people cant be helped

However when they survey their members, and get over twelve thousand completed responses, they can make a fair crack at identifying the reliable brands.

For example, last time I responded, I had needed no repairs in ten years. So I have no idea if spare parts are easy to get. So they survey engineers as well.

Aggregating responses will tell them if I was exceptional or typical.

22% of responding members have had faults with boilers bought since 2012, of whom some have needed more than one repair.

So this is not based on "a few months use."

If I was buying a boiler tomorrow, I'd want to know which brands are troublesome, and avoid them. Wouldn't you?

Garbage....

It isn't just the brand, it is the quality of the installer that determines the customers experience of the boiler and hence what they write on the survey forms.

It isn't just the brand, it is the quality of the installer that determines the customers experience of the boiler and hence what they write on the survey forms.

Maybe the people who install WB and Viessmann do higher quality installations than people who install Vokera and Potterton, and this is enough to make them break down less. Do you believe that? Why are Toyotas more reliable than MGs?

The brand reliability rating is calculated based on how often boilers from this brand break down in the homes of the members.

Garbage....

You don't believe they survey twelve thousand members?

You don't believe that the breakdowns reported can show any patterns of reliability?

Why don't you believe it?

I know Intergas i getting some increasing attention is that it's relatively the new kid on the block?

Also apart from the Boiler - what else do I need to consider - opentherm, weather compensation - which smart thermostats work best with the wides range of boilers?

You don't believe they survey twelve thousand members?

The membership of Which is mainly those who are willing and are able to pay for the subscription. This could mean the membership is not representative of the entire population of the UK

and how do you think would this cause the pattern that some brands are less reliable than others?

I know Intergas i getting some increasing attention is that it's relatively the new kid on the block?

Also apart from the Boiler - what else do I need to consider - opentherm, weather compensation - which smart thermostats work best with the wides range of boilers?
Personally I'd go with a Worcester. If you want a smart thermostat get an easy control then you can link smart thermostatic radiator valves to it for better heating control of each room. If not get a comfort 2 all covered under the guarantee so you've got peace of mind if anything breaks down in your guarantee period they'll come out and replace and repair without a fuss. Instead of maybe having a boiler with a long guarantee and controls with say only 2 years and if they go faulty you've got to fork out to replace them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back