Vectra 1999, handbrake sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know what might be causing my handbrake stick on?

Just been to the garage and without even having my car looked at they said I need new rear disks and handrake cables. Seems very strange as the handrake operates a small drum brake behind the rear disk!

Regards,

[Dont advertise]

Sponsored Links
You are right, there are small Handbrake shoes but the drum is part of the rear disc.

Don't see how they can tell that it needs discs without looking.

Cable is probably right though, used to fit loads of H/B cables to vectra's quite common

cheers

CJ

Hi,

thanks for the response, do you know if this is an easy job or not? Might try doing it myself. I have an engineering background and have done minor repair jobs before, Servicing, brake pads / discs, starter motor etc.

Thanks Again

Darren

Its easy enough, however depends how you intend to get under the car.

If you are using a lift no problem, I wouldn't want to do it lying on my back though.

When you get a new cable, buy a few extra clips that secure the cable to handbrake shoes, as they are easy to lose and the old ones might break any way. Also, there is a small cable from the lever to the larger cable about a foot long. These sometimes fray, so check that too, might be worth changing whilst you are under there.

have fun

CJ

Sponsored Links
Hi Cj,

Thanks for your Help on this, I think I'll let the garage do it, I have Axle stands, might be a bit tight tight for space.

Thanks Again,

Darren

Thanks for the adivse, the cable needed freeing up, and a broken return spring inside the drum. I'm thinking about reporting the afore mentioned garage (Shaw street Garage, Bolton) to trading standards.

Thanks again for the fantastic advise.

If the garage had replaced the rear discs/cables and the fault still existed then fair enough, but did you ask for possible causes and got possible answers?
To publicly name the garage without the public being in full possession of the facts is out of order...

Simannjo,

I agree with your statement but, I do not think that to name that garage was out of order.

I told the garage that the handbrake was sticking on and that I wanted them to look into it. He immediatley told me that the problem was such and that this was what was going to be required as a minimum. He never said that he would need to take and look and then tell me what I needed. I questioned the guy further and even mentioned that the drum sat behind the disk (which incedentally was changed only 9 months ago) and he still insisted that the rear disc brake would need to be changed (even stating that he will be able to get hold of the part for the following day so could I bring it in that day).

Incidently I took this to another garage that I have used before near my house rather than getting it done at work, he managed to free the handbrake cable which was partly sticking and fix the broken return spring, which he said was casing the problem.

The problem has now gone.

If the garage had said we'll take a look, it might be that .... then fine, but to tell me that they were going to do all this without looking then I think there is something wrong, I'm sure you'll agree.

Sponsored Links
Back