Visa and Mastercard Brexit Bonus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well at least Visa and Mastercard have benefited from Brexit.

Now that we are not part of the EU, the can raise the cap on interchange fees which were in place whilst we were members of the EU.

Visa is to force through a series of post-Brexit fee increases which could place fresh pressure on consumers and small businesses struggling to deal with the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic. According to people briefed on the plans, Visa will in October raise its “interchange fees” — a levy it charges on behalf of banks for every debit or credit card payment that uses its network — on cross-border transactions between the UK and EU.

From October, Visa will charge 1.5 per cent of the transaction value for credit card payments made online or over the phone between the UK and EU, and 1.15 per cent for debit card transactions, up from 0.3 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively. The post-Brexit fee increases are likely to hit more companies than a similar move announced by rival Mastercard in January, raising fears that UK consumers face higher prices for online purchases if companies pass on the rises.

Nice.

Sponsored Links
What is it with these non charitable businesses making money. It’s a bloody disgrace! :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with Brexit. They are a business and can charge what they think they can get away with charging. If you don’t like it, don’t use their products or services. Simple.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with Brexit.

Sure it is.

Thanks to Brexit, British citizens lose benefits of EU membership.

including, for example, this part of Consumer Protection legislation.

Nothing to do with Brexit. They are a business and can charge what they think they can get away with charging. If you don’t like it, don’t use their products or services. Simple.

Poor dumb sod. Maybe if you knew a bit more.

The EU capped interchange fees for all transactions inside the EU in 2015 but as we have left the EU this means these limits no longer apply between the UK and the EU.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes you are totally wrong again.

tell your kids higher card fees. chop chop.

Sure it is.

Thanks to Brexit, British citizens lose benefits of EU membership.

including, for example, this part of Consumer Protection legislation.

Like Brexiteers care about facts?

Feelings over facts.

Oh, so you’re only interested in stories of firms suffering because of Brexit? Now you don’t seem to like businesses profiting because of Brexit? I don’t think you get the concept of business.

0.3 & 0.2 increase its hardly going to make people bankrupt, most People probably won't even notice it.

Oh, so you’re only interested in stories of firms suffering because of Brexit? Now you don’t seem to like businesses profiting because of Brexit? I don’t think you get the concept of business.

You're so deluded.

You just argued that its benefical for the UK consumers and businesses that their costs have gone up for no benefit.

You truly are the dumbest poster on here and you have lots of competition.

0.3 & 0.2 increase its hardly going to make people bankrupt, most People probably won't even notice it.

Read again

Visa will charge 1.5 per cent of the transaction value for credit card payments made online or over the phone between the UK and EU, and 1.15 per cent for debit card transactions, up from 0.3 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively.

Going from 0.3 to 1.5 and 0.2 to 1.15.

So can you give me 1% of all your earnings please.

Read again

Visa will charge 1.5 per cent of the transaction value for credit card payments made online or over the phone between the UK and EU, and 1.15 per cent for debit card transactions, up from 0.3 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively.

Going from 0.3 to 1.5 and 0.2 to 1.15.

So can you give me 1% of all your earnings please.

Apologies I misread it.

You just argued that its benefical for the UK consumers and businesses that their costs have gone up for no benefit.
So when they were 'cut' by the EU, did the companies just absorb those increases? Well, now they are getting them back. Brexit bonus.
Anyway, I can’t remember the last time I bought something from the EU on a visa or MasterCard. Can you? All the more reason to buy British - assuming that wouldn’t stick in your throat.

Sponsored Links
Back