Wages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I run a small plumbing firm (4 guys including me). One of my guys who started as an apprentice and has been with me 5 years has had regular pay increases and has asked for another.

He is PAYE, gets 25 days a year holiday, has his gas safe registration (under our company name), gets picked up and dropped off every day so has no travel costs whatsoever. We work in central London everyday so he is out of the house for about 12 hours a day, but about 4 hours are spent in the van.

He is good at his job and I rarely have problems with him. Essentially I want to find out what the limit of his earnings with us should be.

My question is, what you expect to pay someone (or be paid) for the above criteria?

All answers, further questions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I run a small plumbing firm (4 guys including me). One of my guys who started as an apprentice and has been with me 5 years has had regular pay increases and has asked for another.

He is PAYE, gets 25 days a year holiday, has his gas safe registration (under our company name), gets picked up and dropped off every day so has no travel costs whatsoever. We work in central London everyday so he is out of the house for about 12 hours a day, but about 4 hours are spent in the van.

He is good at his job and I rarely have problems with him. Essentially I want to find out what the limit of his earnings with us should be.

My question is, what you expect to pay someone (or be paid) for the above criteria?

All answers, further questions welcome.

Quite a difficult one Dale. Hourly rates should really start at the 'going rate', then increase after that on merit. Most guys have good & bad points, so only you, as his employer, can establish his worth. Would your business survive without him, of course it would, but good guys are hard to come by & if he has served his time with you then he knows your ways & what's expected from you. Regardless of anything, each day this guy can hit the ground running.

I hope that's objective enough for you, and my views are based on employing Plumbers for over 30 years..... ;)

Better off asking this in the CC. More professionals in there than here.

Ah, in the combustion chamber pot, not only gas related matters are discussed??!!! You know, I thought it was a home from home for the great & the good in the industry. Perhaps, you've just confirmed that Danny boy?
Interesting...... :LOL:

Thanks for replies guys. He currently earns £27000 a year and I don't think I would ever really pay more than £30k a year. Does anyone think this sounds unreasonable?

Thanks for replies guys. He currently earns £27000 a year and I don't think I would ever really pay more than £30k a year. Does anyone think this sounds unreasonable?
12 hour days, 5 weeks a year holiday, London. 27k.

He is doing you a favour or is a right nugget in the head :mrgreen:

12 hour days, 5 weeks a year holiday, London. 27k.

He is doing you a favour or is a right nugget in the head :mrgreen:

I agree Gav, this doesn't appear well paid for London work...... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back