Wales becomes Trumpton

Sponsored Links
People in the main don't object to changes when they're reasonable. Up from me we have a stretch of B road, national limit. No buildings at all. Tress and verge one side, path the other that's set back from the road although no barrier. If that road was reduced to 40 folk would no doubt moan a bit however 40s not (in the scenario of that road) ridiculous. However if it was reduced to 30 or 20, to me that would be ridiculous for that particular road.

In my opinion, all roads and streets, where people, kids, and pets, or where houses are close to roads, should have a rigorously enforced 20 limit, for safety and to make life generally more pleasant. Where there is less need for such limits, then I am happy with the 30, 40, 50 etc. limits - the problem is that the authorities generally find the higher limits more financially productive, and easier to police.

The 30 limit locally was generally ignored, they introduced a 20, which was likewise ignored by the majority, because there was absolutely no enforcement at all. I took the authorities to task, over the limit, and the lack of any enforcement, ending up by making complaints to the Chief Constable, and at least then got some action.

In my opinion, all roads and streets, where people, kids, and pets, or where houses are close to roads, should have a rigorously enforced 20 limit, for safety and to make life generally more pleasant. Where there is less need for such limits, then I am happy with the 30, 40, 50 etc. limits - the problem is that the authorities generally find the higher limits more financially productive, and easier to police.

The 30 limit locally was generally ignored, they introduced a 20, which was likewise ignored by the majority, because there was absolutely no enforcement at all. I took the authorities to task, over the limit, and the lack of any enforcement, ending up by making complaints to the Chief Constable, and at least then got some action.
I agree with most of that.

Those that didn't or don't stick to 30 won't stick to 20, without a big stick called enforcement

I'm guessing you've got a 6 cylinder petrol engine?

Blup

Why would you guess that?

Petrols have less torque than diesels, especially at low revs.

I've just run the experiment again (on errands).

2.0 litre diesel Avensis.

Tick over is a gnat's under 800 rpm (indicated on the needle).

In 5th, on the flat, at tick over, I couldn't get it below 27mph (indicated; so 25-ish?), and it was trying to accelerate from there.

Like I said, I just can't believe the claim.

Sponsored Links
Why would you guess that?

Petrols have less torque than diesels, especially at low revs.

I've just run the experiment again (on errands).

2.0 litre diesel Avensis.

Tick over is a gnat's under 800 rpm (indicated on the needle).

In 5th, on the flat, at tick over, I couldn't get it below 27mph (indicated; so 25-ish?), and it was trying to accelerate from there.

Like I said, I just can't believe the claim.
Over to Harry. It was always thing that the 6 cylinder beamers could pull away smoothly from 20 mph in fourth.

Blup

This sort of comes back to my earlier point. Speed limits, even if considered to be too low for certain roads, wouldn't overly bother me if EVERYONE had to adhere, but that's not what happens. So the tailgating, frustration etc ensues.

To a degree it's also subjective. e.g. the road I referenced above does have a public path (set back from the road) that's used by joggers, families out for a stroll etc. However I'd assert 20 for that road would be too low.

People in the main don't object to changes when they're reasonable. Up from me we have a stretch of B road, national limit. No buildings at all. Tress and verge one side, path the other that's set back from the road although no barrier. If that road was reduced to 40 folk would no doubt moan a bit however 40s not (in the scenario of that road) ridiculous. However if it was reduced to 30 or 20, to me that would be ridiculous for that particular road.
Does it fit the scenario of a typical village road in Wales? Where it's a main A or B inter-town route, with many 40 or 50 limits along it's route, which must be reduced when the road goes through the village, because ther is no bypass?

Does the amount of traffic in Fife, on this particular road you are refering to compare to a typical A or B road in Wales?

Does it fit the scenario of a typical village road in Wales? Where it's a main A or B inter-town route, with many 40 or 50 limits along it's route, which must be reduced when the road goes through the village, because ther is no bypass?

Does the amount of traffic in Fife, on this particular road you are refering to compare to a typical A or B road in Wales?
tbh I can't comment on the Welsh A/B road thing and how they'd compare to the road I reference above in my town. It's a busy road and folk (me included) go along at or near 60 if the traffic flow allows. By default these days, some go along ~40 which to me is fine. However driving it ~30 seems too slow and ~20 ridiculously so. As I say there's a public footpath on one side, separated from the road by a grassed section around 6 foot wide. The footpath isn't heavily used however it is used, as I say by cyclists, joggers, families out for a walk etc.

tbh I can't comment on the Welsh A/B road thing and how they'd compare to the road I reference above in my town. It's a busy road and folk (me included) go along at or near 60 if the traffic flow allows. By default these days, some go along ~40 which to me is fine. However driving it ~30 seems too slow and ~20 ridiculously so. As I say there's a public footpath on one side, separated from the road by a grassed section around 6 foot wide. The footpath isn't heavily used however it is used, as I say by cyclists, joggers, families out for a walk etc.
Accepted.
Try following the A5, as it crosses Wales. as just one example.
The A5, the London-Holyhead trunk road, is a major road in England and Wales. It runs for about 243 miles from London to the Irish Sea at the ferry port of Holyhead. In many parts the route follows that of the Roman Iter II route which later took the Anglo-Saxon name Watling Street.

its like 1700-1800 RPM at motorway speed and its the same on the smaller Beemers too. Other half's 2.0l is similar without the flappy paddles

Sponsored Links
Back