Wales becomes Trumpton

take a look at some of the roads with a new 20mph limit.

The punishment just went from Band A to Band C.

BAND C SPEEDING FINE

A Band C speeding fine means that anyone speeding at 51mph or above in a 30mph limit for example, or over 101mph, faces a fine equivalent to 125-175% of their weekly income, 6 penalty points on their driving licence or disqualification from driving for up to 56 days. If disqualified for 56 days or more the driver will be required to apply for a new licence.

BAND B SPEEDING FINE

A Band B speeding fine would apply for someone caught doing between 41-50mph in a 30mph zone, in which case a fine equivalent to 75-125% of their weekly income would apply, with 4-6 penalty points on their licence, or disqualification from driving for up to 28 days.

BAND A SPEEDING FINE

A Band A speeding fine would be imposed for anyone caught speeding between 31-40 in a 30mph zone, who would then expect to receive a fine equivalent to 25-75% of their weekly income and 3 penalty points on their licence.

Sponsored Links
Its an obvious consequence of an inappropriately low speed limit that people are prosecuted more severely than they should be.

The long term consequences of over zealous speed enforcement has had a disastrous effect on policing. People, who might previously have been cooperative with the police now choose not to be. We already have a plod wasting their time looking for those who sprayed the signs.

Its an obvious consequence of an inappropriately low speed limit that people are prosecuted more severely than they should be.

The long term consequences of over zealous speed enforcement has had a disastrous effect on policing. People, who might previously have been cooperative with the police now choose not to be. We already have a plod wasting their time looking for those who sprayed the signs.
You originally said

Speed limits have to make sense otherwise they are ignored.

I Said they can be enforced even if ignored.

None of that says I support them. Just means ignore them at your peril.

Sponsored Links
I think its a bit of what about me syndrome.

I see Khan's team have racked up 430,000 air miles since taking office. How can the mayor of London and his team who live in London need to fly anywhere?

Last edited:
Its a pain with a larger engine car swapping between 2nd and third gear on the longer stretches with speed humps and pinch points.

My 'larger car' will happily trundle along in 5th at twenty, I might do a block change, straight to 3rd briefly at a hazard.

I'm not accepting that.

What would be the point of fifth, if you were correct in what you're saying?

The point of 5th, is lower engine speed at higher road speeds. The point of lower gears is more torque at the road wheel, if the torque isn't required, you can use a higher ration gear - which I do.

Why would anyone want someone to get a driving ban and possibly job loss, for driving at a safe speed for the conditions?

and to confirm - no signage = no enforceable limit.
When the signage that does exist but has been damaged by vandals/criminals, I suspect that there is an argument that the limit is enforcable.
Otherwise I could vandalise a sign after exceeding the limit, and claim that the signage was already damaged.

take a look at some of the roads with a new 20mph limit.

The punishment just went from Band A to Band C.

BAND C SPEEDING FINE

A Band C speeding fine means that anyone speeding at 51mph or above in a 30mph limit for example, or over 101mph, faces a fine equivalent to 125-175% of their weekly income, 6 penalty points on their driving licence or disqualification from driving for up to 56 days. If disqualified for 56 days or more the driver will be required to apply for a new licence.

BAND B SPEEDING FINE

A Band B speeding fine would apply for someone caught doing between 41-50mph in a 30mph zone, in which case a fine equivalent to 75-125% of their weekly income would apply, with 4-6 penalty points on their licence, or disqualification from driving for up to 28 days.

BAND A SPEEDING FINE

A Band A speeding fine would be imposed for anyone caught speeding between 31-40 in a 30mph zone, who would then expect to receive a fine equivalent to 25-75% of their weekly income and 3 penalty points on their licence.

And the relevance is ?

It seems a bit pointless to make the arguments for or against after the introduction has been implemented.

Sponsored Links
Back