Was this a rip-off?

Sponsored Links
Yep 400 quid to fit a 51 quid part its a rip off for max half days work

Sponsored Links
Someone I know paid £4500 to have his 27 year old Potterton Kingfisher removed and replaced by a Vaillant 428. The price included a powerflush and some pipework changes.
And?
Someone I know has been quoted £5500 for a boiler swap, and it seems about right.

2 port zone £17.28 inc vat
28mm 2 port £21.92 inc vat
22mm 3 port mid £19.94 inc vat.

From where?

Probably those tacky cheap honeywell look a like Banico valves made in ??? might get 6 months out of one ? or those guaranteed to seize up ? orkli valves , might get a year out of them ??

No it wasn't a rip off because you turned his quote down geezzz
I think DH's ripoff comment was referring to the £4.5k changeover
That's correct.

The boiler was in the same place as the previous Potterton Diplomat, but obviously wall hung. So only a standard flue was required. The only pipe work changes were to connect the new boiler up.

No change to the HW cylinder, pump or motorized valve

Vaillant 428 with flue and clock £900 (from internet)
Chemicals say £50
Copper pipe etc say £100
Wireless thermostat £100
2 TRVs £50 (rest of house already done)

Total Materials = £1200

That leaves £3,300 for labour over 3½ days - approx £1000 per day! I don't know how many men were on the job, but it didn't need more than two. So that's £500 per man per day. Assuming an 8 hour day, that £62.50 per hour.

Why didn't he get three quotes?

1. His daughter had used the same firm when she had her boiler replaced and was pleased with them.

2. He can easily afford the expenditure.

By the way, the valve didn't need replacing - it was just the motor which had gone. That would explain the £100 price. The £400 price presumably included a drain down and fresh inhibitor.

sorry but I am sick of hearing this *******s.

we live and work in a free country. he was free not to accepting the 4.5k priced quoted. unless they were holding a gun to his head or he did not have his mental faculty or they were using pressure sales tactics

then it is impossible to be ripped off by being given a quote then accepting it

he showed his free will by not accepting the £400 and hunted out the cheaper quote....

The boiler was in the same place as the previous Potterton Diplomat, but obviously wall hung. So only a standard flue was required. The only pipe work changes were to connect the new boiler up.

It woulkd be unusual not to have to upgradee the gas supply from the meter

Vaillant 428 with flue and clock £900 (from internet)

I NEVER use internet. If it gets lost, it will be a nightmare. They don't recognise as lost until 7-10 days etc. Support "proper" business.

Chemicals say £50
Copper pipe etc say £100
Wireless thermostat £100
2 TRVs £50 (rest of house already done)

Total Materials = £1200

. Assuming an 8 hour day, that £62.50 per hour.

assuming your figures are accurate, that is not a TOTAL rip off. Also what aboiut the time spent surveying, ordering amd collecting materials etc.

And finally, a topical note, what about the VAT? Baserd on ypour claimed "profit", vVAT would account for £547.80.

Also, were they happy with the result of the job. As far as I can see, you haven't indicated otherwise. A £4.5k bill to a happy customer is a much better result than a £3k bill to a totally pi55ed of customer who then has to fork out again.

2. He can easily afford the expenditure.

Then why, for the sake of every tradesmans sanity, did you bother writing this thread? are you Matt Alright in disguise? stick to cutting and pasting mate, youre quite good at that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back