Washing machine noisy and melting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a Candy Washing Machine, we've had it for just over 6 years and it's been very reliable, well until now!

The other day my wife put some bedding in and put it on but when it finished the washing smelt funny. It seemed to be a strange smell, unpleasant in a chemicaly kind of way with a combination of the washing liquid.

When she looked at the washing she found little bits of grey plasticky sort of stuff in balls on the washing, this came off. On inspecting the washing machine this same grey stuff was round about 1/4 of the rim of the drum just in a thin line right on the edge. I had to scrape the stuff off with a screwdriver.

I suggested that perhaps something had got mixed in with the washing and I put some old towels in on a rapid 32 wash (a quick 32 minute wash) and they came out fine.

My wife put some more washing in tonight and I happened to be in the garage (utility room is behind garage) and it started making a nasty noise. It's fine most of the time but when it spins up to full speed it just makes a very loud EEK EEK EEK EEK noise and doesn't actually seem to spin as fast as normal.

I switched it off and promised to look at it tomorrow.

Has anyone come across this before? Anything obvious to start with? Are the two likely to be related (melted grey stuff the other day and noise today)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I've had a bit more of a look at it today - it's a Candy Nova CN126T

I took the back off and the belt looks in place etc, the belt was a little looser than I expected but I have nothing to compare it to.

Checking the drum you can lift the front about 6mm or so, then it drops back down.

If you spin the drum it all seems to spin nice and freely.

The melted part is the rubber bit at the front. It's only the lip which goes under the drum which has melted on the bottom half so I don't think it will matter.

So from reading on here I presume that the bearing has gone? and the drum has dropped at the front. But it spins nicely and smoothly by hand so am I right?

Is it worth replacing?

We're just about to redo the utility area so it will be like a building site and the washing machine will have to stay in the middle so I'd prefer to keep this one going and buy a new one after but it's going to be a couple of months until we're ready.

Bearings and/or spider shot....a time consuming and expensive repair. Put the money towards a new one.

Thanks for the reply,

That sums up what I was thinking.

Will the bearings be OK as it spins very smoothly no funny noise, but the drum lifts far too much at the front. I've used two other ones since (families) whilst ours is out of order and both of them don't move up and down at all.

What would cause it to drop so much (or get so much play) but still be smooth?

Currently looking for a cheap second hand one to last me 6 months whilst we sort out the utility room. It couldn't have come at a worse time really :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Collapsed bearings would give those symptoms, the drum may sound a little rumbly as well but still spin smoothly by hand (tends to sound worse when you spin it with the belt off)

The machine could stay going just getting noisier for a while or could have a catastrophic failure anytime. Hard to tell with bearings but with that much movement I would suspect total failure sooner rather than later

The drum is spinning on an elliptical axis & the more load introduced into the equation the worse the elliptical orbit. That is why the machine won't spin at full speed. If you drastically reduce the amount of washing you put in there & set spin speed to a minimum it may (or may not) limp through your kitchen work-over before dying. But it is a terminal illness.

I've taken the belt off and it's still very smooth to spin - no rumbling

But something is gone, I've been reading about the spider detaching from the drum - I guess this could be the fault.

I'm not sure how to use the machine without it hitting the fast speed but I'm a little wary of using it now as if it does melt any more of the seal it really makes the clothes smell so is a bit risky.

Thanks very much and it looks like it'll be visiting the dump later in the week!

In that case the spider is the most likely culprit...although this is usually accompanied by an audible "clunk".
New washer for Xmas I guess :cry:

Given up even looking at it now, looks far too much effort to get to the spider.

Just debating between trying to find a second hand one cheap to keep me going until the building works are done or if I should just bite the bullet and get a nice new one and cover it up.

I guess washing machines don't run very hot - would it cause any damage if the whole thing was left covered by a thick blanket even when it was running?

I can't imagine it would do any harm...to be honest I've never been asked that particular question. Washers are so to say fully enclosed & they often live in little dark caves under kitchen worktops. So...no I think you'll be safe covering it in plastic or an old sheet/blanket. You can tuck it in & tell it bedtime stories :LOL:

Thanks, I'll try and find some appropriate books to go in it's christmas stocking :LOL:

Seen a couple of new ones which fit the bill, are there any makes to avoid?

I don't want to get the cheapest possible, but budget is around £250

Saw a Beko 8kg Black one for £249 or a Whirlpool 8kg white one for the same price.

I keep seeing that Bosch are highly recommended but they are out of budget

Also before I scrap the old machine is anything worth saving/selling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back