Wax for outdoor use on Roble(?)

I

imamartian

We've recently bought an outdoor table, which is says is made from roble. And it says we need to buy Roble aftercare wax to coat on it.
This is the definition for Roble:

1. a Californian white oak, Quercus lobata, having a short trunk and large, spreading branches.
2. any of several other trees, esp. of the oak and beech families.

So, can anyone recommend a product that will do the same job as Roble aftercare wax? (which unfortunately i can't seem to get hold of).

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Tung oil. As with all oils, you need many, many coats, but it's worth the effort. Keep the table indoors this winter while you apply a coat every day for a month.

Next heat up some oil, and dissolve 1/5th of the volume of beeswax in it. Let it cool, then apply with a brush (it'll be a stiff wax then) and buff. Do a few coats like this and you will have an easily maintained table.

DON'T try any form of varnish, unless you are going to RELIGIOUSLY rub it down and varnish with 8 coats the first year and 2 coats every year thereafter. Varnish is a LOT of work to keep it looking good.

Thanks for the advice oliman - although i think i'm swayed to just go and buy a new table each spring !!! that's a helluva lot of work !!

Sponsored Links
Well, I've used the beeswax/tung oil mix on my outside window frames and sills, it works fine. The big benefit is the maintenance recoating is easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back