WB 18RI or Vallaint 418

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my previous thread Im almost decided to go for a new open vented system.

Baxi is another option but I've heard a few bad things about them.

Which of the stated boilers would you suggest and why?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't let an open vented boiler anywhere near my house.

I only install system boiler sealed systems.

You can still heat an open vented hot water tank with it.
Just means the central heating system is sealed.

Thanks for your opinion. I had a hard time making a decision on which system to go for but thoguht best going for tried and tested. It just seems that everyone has a different opinion on these things!

Thanks for your opinion. I had a hard time making a decision on which system to go for but thoguht best going for tried and tested. It just seems that everyone has a different opinion on these things!

I used to have open vented boiler and open vented hot water.
Converted to seal system and unvented cylinder.
Certainly wouldn't go back and would convert
any other place to same. System is so much better. Provided you
have good mains flow for unvented cylinder.

Sponsored Links
The OP is going to get confused now!

A sealed heating system can be used with an open vented OR an un-vented cylinder!

Interesting the OP does not have a gas registered installer to advise him!

Have you been living in a cave? That's not how it's done any more. These days after gathering scraps of knowledge from forums like this, the 'informed' punter buys the goods then touts the labour around for us to beat each other to the lowest price.

Yes, I have noticed that tendency to buy a 438 for a two bed flat and wonder why it spends its life cycling.

Of course like other things in life the bigger the better!

The OP is going to get confused now!

A sealed heating system can be used with an open vented OR an un-vented cylinder!

Whilst you all add value to my posts and for that I am grateful, I am quite new to these forums but a long standing member of other subject forums. Some of these assumptions are simply incorrect.

I have had gas registered installers advice me, but l think it is also sensible to verify any information you receive. Especially seen as a lot of installers tend to push the easier option for THEM and not really the right one for the customer.

For info - I always request supply and fit quotes but request a breakdown of parts and labour

I will await the latest quote for a OV cylinder and see what boiler is recommended I think it wil be wthe WB or Vallaint OV models as thats what we discussed, but I will suggest using a system boiler if that is a better option with a open vented cylinder.

The reason for sticking with OV is that my plumber spent a lot of time with me testing our mains and its averaging about 22/L min with 6 bar pressure whicvh he said is good. But in terms of flow he said with an unvented it still is on mains so it will divide the 22 when 2 taps are opened.

If your plumber has invested his free time with you and given good advice, I don't see what further use this forum would be.

At least you KNOW your chap is a tradesman, which is more than can be said for some of participants here.

I will await the latest quote for a OV cylinder and see what boiler is recommended I think it wil be wthe WB or Vallaint OV models as thats what we discussed, but I will suggest using a system boiler if that is a better option with a open vented cylinder.

The reason for sticking with OV is that my plumber spent a lot of time with me testing our mains and its averaging about 22/L min with 6 bar pressure whicvh he said is good. But in terms of flow he said with an unvented it still is on mains so it will divide the 22 when 2 taps are opened.

You still dont seem to have appreciated the relevance of OV systems and cylinders.

If the dynamic flow was really 22 li/min @ 6 Bar then that is very good indeed. But I dont believe it.

I should also point out that most of the installers here would not give you a break down of labour and materials because its pointless. But what benefit do you think it gives you?

For example which of these three would you choose?

Boiler £1230 Installation £630

Boiler £1195 Installation £665

Boiler £1268 Installation £592

Thank for your advice, to best honest the only advice I am after is

the best type of boilers if I am to stock with a OV.

What is it that I dont understand? Thats why I am on this forum asking questions.

Please enlighten me.

I wont digress by further discussing the quotation options.

If your plumber has invested his free time with you and given good advice, I don't see what further use this forum would be.

At least you KNOW your chap is a tradesman, which is more than can be said for some of participants here.

With regards to your latter comment, a very good point. I guess I've always been one to double check things!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back