Vaillant ecoTEC plus 418 vs Worcester 18Ri

You could probably get a Viessmann ( far better than any of the boilers you mentioned ) complete with proper powerflush, digital wireless controlls, weather compensation and thermostatic valves for less than a bare budget boiler from BG.

Not in a million years is the viessmann better than the vaillant.

Sponsored Links
I'd have to disagree.

The 4 series Vaillants have a problem with water flow rates through the HEX. The Gianoni heat exch uses a tighter pitch and so there can be issues getting the water through fast enough. They have a cheap gas valve compared to the German spec 6,8 and 9 series. The condense siphon is a Gloworm nasty unit. The PCB is retained by a piece of string when you take the outer shell off the boiler.

Word is, there is a new OV model imminent because the trade have cut up rough about the various issues.

The Viessmann WB1B has been totally reliable in our experience; the build quality is demonstrably superior to the 4 series, which for the reasons above we don't offer our customers any more. It is true the earlier models of the 100 (WB1A) had problems, but these have been addressed with the 1B.

And how many quotes has this Manya fellow obtained? It looks like about 7 to me. That represents at least a day of wasted time and diesel, the costs of which all get passed on to other customers. The word Timewaster has no better definition.

I'd have to disagree.

The 4 series Vaillants have a problem with water flow rates through the HEX. The Gianoni heat exch uses a tighter pitch and so there can be issues getting the water through fast enough. They have a cheap gas valve compared to the German spec 6,8 and 9 series..

The gas valve doesn't need to be as special as the other series,it's still a dungs valve so not that cheap.

As for water flow,you can't blame the boiler because installers can't read the instructions.the flow rate issue doesn't really occur at the small sizes and only comes into being at 28/38kw.

Read about S53 if you have concerns,but it's a simple bit of knowledge to ensure it doesnt happen.

And how many quotes has this Manya fellow obtained? It looks like about 7 to me. That represents at least a day of wasted time and diesel, the costs of which all get passed on to other customers. The word Timewaster has no better definition.

Thanks for your invaluable feedback and it looks like you belong to Bond family to come up with the number 007!:cool:

No! i have not got those many quotes.. I got 5 to be precise (3 local, 2 national)!.. But I think it is in someone's rights while making such a costly investment in such a critical element of their home to ensure they get it right the first time! on top of it I know nothing about boilers and plumbing so I do not think this is time wasted in anyway.

Sponsored Links
I'd have to disagree.

The 4 series Vaillants have a problem with water flow rates through the HEX. The Gianoni heat exch uses a tighter pitch and so there can be issues getting the water through fast enough. They have a cheap gas valve compared to the German spec 6,8 and 9 series..

The gas valve doesn't need to be as special as the other series,it's still a dungs valve so not that cheap.

As for water flow,you can't blame the boiler because installers can't read the instructions.the flow rate issue doesn't really occur at the small sizes and only comes into being at 28/38kw.

Read about S53 if you have concerns,but it's a simple bit of knowledge to ensure it doesnt happen.
Installed loads of both and I'm with the 100 gang. Much more robust.

Old thread I know, but OP, which one did you go for and how are you getting on?

Also, what else did you have changed, or was it just a boiler swap out. I currently have back boiler that needs changing, planning to do the cylinder and rads too.

glowworm ultracom 18hxi. virtually the same as the vaillant but £90 cheaper .
what he said. ;)

+1

Mixied views on this e.g. the glowworm is not as efficient as the 418.

Is the veissman a definate better choice?

or am I better of with the WB

Efficient as in SEDBUK?

I really wouldnt worry about it as your only talking silly negilgable amounts if thats the case.

A clean system with the correct controls with DECENT lagging will go a long way towards cutting your gas bill

No efficiency in a more generic way mentioned earlier in the post nothing significant to be fair.

Basically I want to get the best open vent boiler I can get . I had it down to WB vs vaillaint but heres my of negatives:

Vaillaint:
Problem with frothy pipes - is this really valid?
Problems with flow rates around HEX - what is this and is this a confirmed problem?

WB:
Not rated as a brand highly as vallaint
Aluminum HEX

My installer said he was not familiar with Veissman - is this really much better than the vallaint, is it worth paying more for?

Im leaning towards the vallaint but would welcome constructive opinions and comments. It will will most likely be the 418 planning to have 9 Rads 160litre tank.

the glowworm is not as efficient as the 418.

rubbish its the same boiler ! The same guy who said that also said the fan and gas valve was different which again is rubbish.
Just been out today to service a 4yr old ultracom 15hxi i installed. Hasnt skipped a beat and customer is delighted. Proof a job doesnt have to be expensive also, fitted a pegler pump and danfoss 3port controls on that one as customer was on a budget.

also regards the flow rates, thats more baloney. Anyone who has an issue with flow rates through the vaillant or glowworm boilers, may as well admit they dont read or understand the instructions, and are in capable of specifying a correctly sized pump.
Lots of people seem to have an opinion about boilers they have very little experience with. I cant say much about the Viessmann as I havent had much dealing with them, apart from a number of the old batch which Ive had to repair because they were very flakey and had numerous issues. Viessmann say they have sorted these problems, only they and high volume installers will know if thats true.
I will happily challenge anyone for proof if they think there's any issue with the current vaillant/glowworm heat only boilers, I've looked after literally 100s through working for them and fitted many myself since being SE. THe design is a good 10yrs old now so any problems were dealt with years ago.
Cannot honestly see though why anyone would fit a vaillant over a glowworm. I did it once only cos customer said he did not want another glowworm :) (energysaver in case your wondering)

My installer said he was not familiar with Veissman - is this really much better than the vallaint, is it worth paying more for?

Clearly somwinw who does not keep up to date with current trends.

Viess perhaps slightly cheaper than Vaillant

Tony

So from the sounds of it and from whats been said in the last few posts I wont really go wrong with the Valliant 4xx or equivilent glowworm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back