We LOVE Pyro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PYRO, MI, MICC - Whatever you prefer to call it.

We all love a spankingly neat and tidy install with PYRO, it looks the mutts.

I was on a site today to replace a damaged metal clad socket (actually a completely twatted socket that had obviously been abused!).

Turned out the socket had taken the brunt of abuse from folk as it did not work. This turned out to be due to a blown fuse. This turned out to be blown by a very poor insulation resistance. This turned out to be due to a dodgy PYRO pot. This turned out to be located here.....

(remember, we all love a neat and tidy pyro install!) http://www.askthetrades.co.uk/gallery/Lectrician/1333138399.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that one of RF's early efforts when he was training?

He's certainly improved!! :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Go wash your mouth out young man

It is the best cable ever made. FACT.

i have to agree with RF
PYRO (or what ever you wanna call it)
is great, cut my teeth on it many many years ago, love it, i would still prefer to wire a buildings fire alarm in pyro that most other cables!!

in the days of the GLC all public houses and many other commercial buildings wer always wired in PYRO.

going back a few decades when the monies were shorter than today, alot of pubs seem to have had fires!? so one national company decided that all the cabling, including the lighting and power, was done in PYRO, i still work on these installs and they are great!!

wish the cost was cheaper, but hay ho thats the way it goes!

Oasis

We did a warehouse extension a couple years ago and as the rest of the fire alarm install was in PYRO, and neatly done (even in the service voids), we carried this on into the new area. It deserved it.

I 'cut my teeth' so to speak (after college) by being subbed to a firm who completely re-installed a fire alarm in a huge, well known multi-story Plymouth hotel.

The original PYRO sounder circuits were retained, with replacement sounders, but the entire detection circuits were replaced with PYRO and new 12 loop analouge addressable system fitted. I can remember fishing PYRO through the plasterboarded suspended ceilings through access hatches the size of your head!

Sadly, while some of us had neatness in mind, many of the others on site simply had the evening meal and pub on theirs! I went back at the end of the job to fault find the loops. I lost count of the amount of pots I had to redo. It was almost as if they simply put them together without a care, knowing they would not be commissioning the system. Assholes!

We also trialled the very new (and now not available) click on pots on one of the floors. They seemed OK, and it was the only floor with no faults! I would start fault finding one loop, find a dodgy pot, replace it, and then still find the loop faulty. It just went on and on and on. I am glad I was just a monkey doing the work, and not the true contractor, as the job ended up WAY over budget due to timings and fault finding! And fault finding in an open hotel when you cant just wonder into all the rooms is a complete nightmare!

It lasts for ever. It's fire proof, rodent proof, explosion proof, impact resistant and fail safe.

What other cable offers all these properties?

I love it and use it where ever I can.

There was a school up the road from me wired throughout in pyro.

It was rewired a few years back because it was old, despite there being nothing wrong at all with the existing cabling. :rolleyes:

There was a school up the road from me wired throughout in pyro. It was rewired a few years back because it was old, despite there being nothing wrong at all with the existing cabling. :rolleyes:
... probably because some electrician did an inspection and advised (or worse) that the cable with which 'there was nothing wrong at all' neded to be replaced because of its age! (... and, assuming this is a state school, presumably at public {i.e. our} expense!) Sigh. I just hope it wasn't the electrician who (presumably) did the 'advising' who got the contract to do the rewiring - and do we get any prizes for betting that it wasn't re-wired in pyro?!

Kind Regards, John

It was subbed to a local contractors.

Rewired in t&e in mini trunking :rolleyes:

Securesparks - why you stripping joists?

I tend to use a joystripper!

Actually, I dont. I use a standard 'rotary stripper', available in a couple sizes for a range of cables sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back