Well, my kitchen refit has ground to a halt before it’s even started! Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Can you add a narrow unit underneath the RSJ -a spice cabinet and cut it down to fit under the rsj
We particularly want to keep a straight line to the block of units. We had to drop that separate unit down on the last kitchen but I don’t think it will work dropping the middle unit of three.

A couple of good suggestions, thanks. Yes, the 2100 is from the FFL to the beam. I have LVT click fit on 12mm ply so some room there to be gained. Looking at others, I agree with leaving the cornicing off the top and possibly cut the legs/side panels down. I’ll look into all of those.

Edit: Just realised too, when we were boxing in the RSJ, to keep things as high as possible, I glued a strip of plasterboard onto the bottom of it before the angle beads went on and it was plastered. May be another 10-15mm to be gained there. Every little helps in this case!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An embarrassing admission.
After my dog walk this morning, I drove straight to Magnets armed with my tape measure and measured the unit in the showroom from top to bottom. It was, as I was told, 2118mm. However, the 2118mm on my tape measure wasn’t the same as I have been checking indoors. I had been checking against 2180mm. What a f'cking idiot! That'll fit easy. Even with the cornice it’s still only 2150 so may be able to squeeze that in too. Still, better to make the mistake that way round that in the other direction.

Now you've broken the seal, anything else that has been weighing heavy on you, that you could unburden yourself of?

:D
Apart from showing Mrs Mottie how big six inches is when she asked, no.

IMG_6112.jpeg

Edit: Just realised too, when we were boxing in the RSJ, to keep things as high as possible, I glued a strip of plasterboard onto the bottom of it before the angle beads went on and it was plastered. May be another 10-15mm to be gained there. Every little helps in this case!
Don't steels need to be enclosed in plasterboard for protection from heat in the event of fire?

After my dog walk this morning, I drove straight to Magnets armed with my tape measure and measured the unit in the showroom from top to bottom. It was, as I was told, 2118mm. However, the 2118mm on my tape measure wasn’t the same as I have been checking indoors. I had been checking against 2180mm. What a f'cking idiot! That'll fit easy. Even with the cornice it’s still only 2150 so may be able to squeeze that in too

I'm still a bit confused. I thought there was only 2100mm to the underside of the joist.

The units are 2118mm tall excluding the top trim and I only have 2100 from the floor to the bottom of the joist.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read your earlier posts about the flooring and the plasterboard!!

Last edited:
I'm still a bit confused. I thought there was only 2100mm to the underside of the joist.
Yes but that’s from the top of the finished floor height to the underside of the RSJ and another careful measure made it 2110 so only 8mm to find. As said, the distance is from the finished floor height and that floor is made up of LVT click-fit planks on12mm ply on top of the floor boards s there’s at leas 17mm there. Add to that I can gain another 15mm if I had to remove the plasterboard on the underneath of the joist and there is also the possibility to reduce the height of the units by shortening the legs and trimming the end panels. It’s a lot more doable than when I was measuring it wrongly at 2180mm. If it was in feet and inches, I wouldn’t have made that mistake. Bloody newfangled metric measurements!

Sponsored Links
Back