were 'wire-nuts' ever acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tracking down and removing some nasty old wiring today under floorboards, and in a large junction box discovered several cores twisted together and secured with what I believe are called 'wire-nuts' in the States, or twist-on wire connectors.

These were made of moulded ceramic, with internal moulded threads to keep them on the twisted cores.

Were these ever acceptable under the Regs, and if so when did they go out of favour?

Just wondering if they were allowed when the wiring was done (60s is my guess - the black sheathed stuff that is falling apart at the terminations)

Gavin

Sponsored Links
They were called screw-its here, afaik the porcelain ones went out with the 14th edition in the '60s (which adds up with yoru VIR cable), but I believe there is also a plastic version called 'lok-tite' made by BICC thats still acceptable but not widely used, you can screw it on, but not remove it, I believe there is a metal bit that bites the cables and there is a rachet type mechanism between this and the plastic cap

The only place you ever see them theese days is inside CH zone valves.

Don't know why they are still allowed to use the when no one else is though :?:

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
They were called screw-its here, afaik the porcelain ones went out with the 14th edition in the '60s (which adds up with yoru VIR cable)

That sounds about right - would fit in with the ELCB that I've just replaced too.

Only thing is, they had much more recent cables added to, in a large junction box under a floorboard, underlay and fitted carpet :evil:

Last bungalow with loft extension I do for a while!

Thanks for the info - I knew I could rely on the forum to know the answer ;)

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back