What’s the consensus regarding this?

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I attended a job today (for something different) and noticed the boiler had been wired up using the existing flex and the flex that comes pre-wired to the boiler joined using connector blocks and wrapped with insulation tape, on show. I presume it was a “permanent” fixture as the boiler was installed last year.

Can anyone confirm if this is allowed/acceptable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not acceptable.

Though 'most' people do it, as a temporary measure - which can unfortunately become permanent.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I forgot to add the fcu was under the boiler, plenty of flex included on the boiler and also a nearby double gang socket - not sure what he was thinking apart from “how can I make this job harder?”.

Sponsored Links
To access live wires one needs a key or tool, in the main this means insulation tape joints need to be in a box of some type.
Yet you can access live wires without a key or a tool on a ceiling rose, a lampholder, a typical Wago box.......

• Thanks
IIRC wagoboxes are supposed to be ziptied shut, whether people actually do is another matter.

You can get a connector box openable sans tool.

• Thanks
You can get a connector box openable sans tool.
It's only openable 'sans tool' if one doesn't screw the (provided) screw into the (provided) hole. If you make the same error (failing to install the faceplate/whatever screws) with any electrical accessory, it would be equally openable 'sans tool' (in fact, would usually be difficult/impossible to 'close'!)

1666229768188.png
1666229902070.png

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
It's not acceptable.

Though 'most' people do it, as a temporary measure - which can unfortunately become permanent.
Thanks for this, and I suspected as much. I re-wired it whilst I was there.

416.2.4 Where it is necessary to remove a barrier or open an enclosure or remove parts of enclosures, this shall be possible only:
(i) by the use of a key or tool, or
(ii) after disconnection of the supply to live parts against which the barriers or enclosures afford protection. restoration of the supply being possible only after replacement or reclosure of the barrier or enclosure. or
(iii) where an intermediate barrier providing a degree of protection of at least IPXXB or IP2X prevents contact with live parts, by the use of a key or tool to remove the intermediate barrier.
NOTE: This regulation does not apply to:
a ceiling rose complying with BS 67
a cord operated switch complying with BS 3676
a bayonet lampholder complying with BS EN 61184
an Edison screw lampholder complying with BS EN 60238.
I installed control panels with removable knobs/levers and was pulled by HSE for leaving them in.

John, the ones I saw only had a plastic peg holding the lid in place.

John, the ones I saw only had a plastic peg holding the lid in place.
I don't know what you 'saw' (I suppose that depends on the extent to which you were 'paying attention' :) ), but the Screwfix listing you linked to included the second photo I posted, namely ..

1666274400046.png

Kind Regards, John

Ah, OK.

I confess I chose the SF product because it looked identical to one I saw on sale elsewhere which did not have a fixing screw, only a removable peg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back