What a man!

Sponsored Links
Schoolboy physics. Surely you know about energy?

In short, the law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.

Wiki

Joe you've simply quoted words from another human being.... that's not proof at all....
And admittedly you can spout a good tale when required, but you show a dogged defiance of any other argument... that's not proof that you know the answer, merely that you like a good bust up!
To prove you are ultimately right, you need to take on, understand, and then rebuff others' arguments with explanantions.... yet you just say "live with it"!

No I haven't. It is a fundamental law of physics. I didn't think it up or prove it, but far smarter people than me did. Whether you like it or not, all the energy in the universe, that can be neither created or destroyed, has always existed. It existed before time began. It will exist when time is no more. It's a universal repository of everything that can ever be. You, me and everything in the universe is constructed from it. It, at some point, decided to start time in a timeless void for reasons we have no knowledge of - but start it all it certainly did. We are simple animals. Just 5000 years ago we were cave dwellers. We don't know how the human brain works so how can we possibly understand the universe? Just as you can't teach a dog the rules of chess - neither are we capable of understanding the rules of the universe. All we know is that everything that ever was or ever will be came from that same eternal energy source. Call it what you like - God will do for me.

Imamartian have you finished the book yet, its is not light reading . Have picked it up several times now get through about 50 pages and think na not the best written for holding your attention and wanting to read on.

Joe-90 wrote:
It is a fundamental law of physics. I didn't think it up or prove it, but far smarter people than me did.
Oh, I'm sure that's the case :LOL:

These fundamental laws were hypothesised by humans and the hypotheses proven by humans based on their understanding and capabilities at the time ... To say that they are absolute is remarkably naive.

Something may well be discovered (a new element, for example) which does not conform to our current understanding of (say) Ohms law when a potential is applied across it. At this point the original hypothesis is no longer valid and neither is the law ... Same thing applies to every physical law.

Whether you like it or not, all the energy in the universe, that can be neither created or destroyed, has always existed. It existed before time began. It will exist when time is no more. It's a universal repository of everything that can ever be.
I choose to maintain an open mind and not accept things as others say they should be ... Fortunately, so do many other people (we call them scientists) ... If we didn't we'd never have moved out of the caves or challenged the hypothesis that the World is flat!

We are simple animals. Just 5000 years ago we were cave dwellers.
Yes we've all descended from apes but, the more I read your posts, the more I realise that some of us have descended further than others :LOL:

We don't know how the human brain works so how can we possibly understand the universe?
By constantly challenging your so-called absolute laws based on our current understanding and capabilities.

Just as you can't teach a dog the rules of chess - neither are we capable of understanding the rules of the universe.
You stay happily in your cave Joe ... The rest of us will continue to make progress.

All we know is that everything that ever was or ever will be came from that same eternal energy source. Call it what you like - God will do for me.
I know nothing of the sort. One day, if we haven't killed ourselves, we will know the answers.

If it turns out to be God then fine but I won't hold my breath, nor will I spend what miniscule time we have in this mortal existence following the writings of some imaginative JK Rowling of the day ... The bible may well be proved to be the biggest wind up the human race has ever fallen for at some point in the future when we are more enlightened.

And I for one would be delighted if religions of all forms (and the human need for them) were eradicated from our psyche forever ... The World would be a far happier place IMO.

MW

Sponsored Links
MW, you are simply looking at the microcosm rather than the macrocosm.
Science is the art of explaining the explainable. Science began after the 'big bang' event. It makes no attempt to understand time in a time when time didn't exist. It has no idea how or why the universe suddenly came into being. It never will. We can't even fathom the human brain yet we've had it examine for centuries. So what chance is there of understanding something that can never be examined? Something that has always existed, something that will always exist? Something that you are a part of? It's beyond science of the finite world.

I think that you have a very closed-minded attitude to science Joe.

As history has proved endlessly and will continue to do so ...

Things are only unexplainable until they are not.
Things are only impossible until they are not.

Science is absolutely not just about explaining the explainable and large aspects of the scientific community dedicate their lives to theorising and attempting to find the fact which proves their theory ... We don't simply wait until something happens and then try to explain it, if we did we'd never make any progress at all.

Read some of Stephen Hawkings theories (among many others I'm sure) ... They may take millenia to prove or disprove ... They may turn out to be total fiction ... Or tomorrow's absolute physical laws ;)

Theory ALWAYS predates our abilities to factualise and curiosity and a desire to better ourselves is the essence of the human race.

We will fully map and understand the human brain of that I'm absolutely convinced ... Sure, not in our lifetime, but it will happen.

20 years ago coronary artery bypass grafting was still being pioneered and had a very high risk of mortality, now the operation is almost routine with patients out of hospital within 3-4 days and a very low rate of mortality.

Life will find a way, talk to your God and have faith if it helps you.

MW

Megawatt wrote

And I for one would be delighted if religions of all forms (and the human need for them) were eradicated from our psyche forever ... The World would be a far happier place IMO.

It wouldn't. :(
It would be a much more dangerous place to live in and I for one would be on the first space ship off to another planet if such a space ship and planet existed. :rolleyes:

Just look at the UK at the moment where countless young people are being brought up with no faith to instill decent morals into them.
Yuk . Horrible place at the moment. ;)
The heathens have taken over. :(
Take some time off from your computer screen and venture out unto the streets and you might realise what I am on about.

a persons faith is sometimes the only thing that keeps them alive.

we are people of conscience, and are capable of rational thought.
yet our brain is just biological tissue.

it is this consciousness that the worlds' scientists and thinkers have yet to explain or even come close to explaining.

joe-90 is actually making sense.

how's life in that bubble of yours MW?

Hmmnnnn I guess I've come across some Sunday school bible bashers.

Just look at the UK at the moment where countless young people are being brought up with no faith to instill decent morals into them.
I've news for you guys ... Morals, beliefs and values have nothing whatsoever to do with religious beliefs or faith ... Typical religious claptrap.

I agree that we should all be brought up with a sense of decency and strict moral values (and I believe I have been incidentally despite my lack of any religious faith) but this doesn't mean we must believe in any form of daiety ... What century are you living in?

99% of the conflict in the World today has its roots in religion of one faith or another so please don't try and tell me we are better off for it.

If it works for you fine but I'd lose no sleep if there were no such thing.

MW

megawatt wrote

I've news for you guys ... Morals, beliefs and values have nothing whatsoever to do with religious beliefs or faith ... Typical religious claptrap.

Merely opinion from a non believer.

99% of the conflict in the World today has its roots in religion of one faith or another so please don't try and tell me we are better off for it

Rubbish.
Its certainly true that a lot of conflict has its roots in religion but most conflicts and wars are a result of greed for resourses.

[quote="megawatt";p="885918"
Hmmnnnn I guess I've come across some Sunday school bible bashers.
you could not be more wrong.

oh yes, you can be more wrong.

99% of the conflict in the World today has its roots in religion of one faith or another so please don't try and tell me we are better off for it.
even wronger still.

99% of the worlds conflict is fought over territory and power. religion sometimes defines the boundaries.

MW[/quote]

Oh pleeease ... Get real you pair.

So, the middle eastern conflict between Israel and Palestine which has defined the region certainly all my lifetime is NOT about religion then ... Strange because I thought it was a Jewish/Arab faith issue?

What about the Nigerian conflict between Christians and Muslims circa 2000 from memory and still going on?

Afghanistan wasn't about religious freedom then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_freedom_in_Afghanistan

The Nazi's weren't actually attempting to wipe out the Jewish faith perhaps?

Or, let's get a little closer to home ... Catholics & Protestants ring any bells?

The list is endless, battles fought in the name of one religion or another none of which make any sense at all to non-believers such as I.

And your answer will no doubt be ... It's all about oil or territory ... Dream on.

MW

current wars are fought over territory and power.

do you honestly think for one minute that if the whole world were religion free, there would be no conflict over territory and power.

FFS. :rolleyes:

you are the one living in a dream world MW. wake up and smell the coffee. ;)

oh by the way, Hitler saw the jews as a financial threat.

the middle east is fought over the State of Israel and the fact that it was plonked in the middle of Palestinian territory. does the West Bank or the Gaza Strip mean anything to you?

if you are going to be taken seriously at least give us a clue as to which tense you are referring to. either past or present.

Sponsored Links
Back