What are these little white blank boxes for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my flat I have a night storage heating system. In every room there are a number of "blank boxes" 4x4" white squares that look like they were once electrical sockets. They have grey twin and earth inside them. A neighbour told me these flats used to have a different heating system in and thats what all these boxes were used for.

Is it possible to take the blank fronts off and fit a single plug socket to these boxes? I don't want to call an electrician out incase he thinks I'm barmy!

Sponsored Links
Might be best to call in an electrician as he will be abel to test the wiring that runs to each point to see if its in good condition. Also the cables from each point will probably run to a separate consumer unit that would have been wired to the off peak supply.
As you are wanting to fit socket outlets installing a 30mA RCD is advisable.

Surely, if the flat now uses storage heating, the boxes in question would have been employed for the job, if used for a previous off peak heating system?

Sponsored Links
S_Crabtree.jpg

Shirley Crabtree ;)

Suspect these are where thermostats may have been for under floor heating.

No the wiring in these will NOT supply a socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back