What Don't I know About Conusmer Unit Upgrades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen is in need of some rewiring (sockets moved, old light switches de-comissioned etc) 2 of the 3 electricians I called out said that they wouldn't touch the work until a my current CU has been updated.

Questions:

Is it necessary to replace the consumer unit?

What spec/ make of model should it be upgraded to?

What reporting will be required to building control?

How much would you expect to pay (south west)?

What tests are required?

Is there anything else do I need to know before proceeding with this type of work?
Nk4dkLj.jpg

S9h3x0I.jpg

Sponsored Links
Regs on consumer units have changed more than once for new installations, but those regs, like others, are not retrospective. That doesn't of course stop unscrupulous electricians trying it on.

Why not use the third electrician.

Sponsored Links
It is not necessary to upgrade anything, provided you leave everything as it is.

g (sockets moved, old light switches de-comissioned etc)
Any new items will almost certainly require RCD protection, and your consumer unit only has this for one circuit. It may be possible to reconfigure the existing unit to have the RCD cover more of the circuits but if not, then a new consumer unit would be required.

Edit: actually on closer inspection the earth is connected on both sides, it's just a trick of the angle.
Old post for posterity below
=========
Did the electrician test your earth? According to the quoted photo, you have a problem with your earthing.
Call the electricity distribution company (ie dno, not your supplier) and tell them your earth is not properly connected and show them the photo. They will send someone out to replace it. It will be free of charge.

Last edited:
Regs on consumer units have changed more than once for new installations, but those regs, like others, are not retrospective. That doesn't of course stop unscrupulous electricians trying it on.

Why not use the third electrician.

But any new work must comply with the current regulations. Tell me how you would make the OPs proposed works compliant with BS7671 amd3 without replacing that consumer unit?

Easy, make it a sub -board off a new one ! And shove a metal enclosure round it !

Joking !!!!!! (y)

If it went on fire you would never know with that flame effect wall paper!

Sorry, a grown up will be along soon !

DS

Many sparks do install a new board along with their new circuits and ignore the original wiring altogether.

That's an old Wylex NB consumer unit.

I'm not aware of an RCBO which will fit.

You could as securespark says install a separate CU but it makes absolute sense to replace the existing unit.

My pressing concern as mentioned earlier is that earthing arrangement on what looks like a looped supply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back