What Don't I know About Conusmer Unit Upgrades

Sponsored Links
I did not realise your reply to RF was sarcasm against my suggestion. :)

I thought you had had a change of heart.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be getting on to the power company about the earthing situation.

In the meantime here's a bit more info and pics (kindly, note the wallpaper upgrade)

Spark 1: "CU must be upgraded before any works"

Spark 2: "CU must be upgraded, and I won't start until the main cutout and meter tails have been upgraded by your power supplier, the meter tails need to be upgraded from 16mm to 25mm, contact them they'll do it for free"
I do, they inform me that its all the sparks job and not something they'll do.

Spark 3: Barely gets close enough to inspect the CU, when I ask if it needs upgrading, he gives me a blase "nah its alright" and is out of the property in under 3 minutes, so I wouldn't trust this guy to water my peas.

USUWFiN.jpg

TmtRPPo.jpg

Is the kitchen downstairs, with the sockets you want to move on the MCB labelled "Down" which is your only RCD protected circuit? If the answer is yes spark 3 is correct. It's is not his job to water your peas, but he does seem to be the only one not trying to get unnecessary work.

I think we probably need to see a photo show a few inches below that one ... might not the G/Y cable coming from the right-hand side of the incoming supply sheath perhaps loop round and be the one connected to the right-most place on the earth block?
The OP's latest photo seems to indicate that I was right in my speculation, and that there is probably nothing wrong with the earth connection - just,. for some reason, a second unconnected G/Y cable going from the earth block to the vicinity of one of the incoming cable sheaths (and taped onto it). ... that is, assuming that the connected G/Y is attached to the incoming (not the assumed looping out) DNO cable sheath (although one would assume that those two sheaths are joined together at the cutout, anyway).

Kind Regards, John

That cutout looks a bit odd, can anyone tell if the neutral is fused from that? Either way if I were the op I'd be emailing the photo to the dno and asking for some updates.

The OP's latest photo seems to indicate that I was right in my speculation, and that there is probably nothing wrong with the earth connection - just,. for some reason, a second unconnected G/Y cable going from the earth block to the vicinity of one of the incoming cable sheaths (and taped onto it). ...
If you look carefully it is connected and wedged in at the sides, just from the front you can see the whole cable through the gap in the clamp

If you look carefully it is connected and wedged in at the sides, just from the front you can see the whole cable through the gap in the clamp
Yes, I see what you're saying, and you're quite probably right. However, as I said, even if it weren't connected, there probably would not be any problem. Are those four terminals all connected and, if not, what is connecting the sheaths of the two cables (I presume they are not relying on the consumer to do that via their earth block!)?

Kind Regards, John

Are those four terminals all connected and, if not, what is connecting the sheaths of the two cables (I presume they are not relying on the consumer to do that via their earth block!)?
Hopefully they are connected within the cutout. But the dno will confirm that.
I didn't think the main earth block belonged to the consumer? Ours was installed by the dno on their new board so I assume it's theirs. Although in the ops there seem to be two with a dog's dinner of connections

Hopefully they are connected within the cutout. But the dno will confirm that.
Yes, hopefully. As I said, I was wondering whether those four terminals were actually joined.
I didn't think the main earth block belonged to the consumer? Ours was installed by the dno on their new board so I assume it's theirs. Although in the ops there seem to be two with a dog's dinner of connections
I couldn't tell you about the bureaucracy of "who owns it", but the consumer is allowed to 'use it' (make connections to it), unlike the 'hands off' situation as regards other DNO-owned (or supplier-owned) equipment. Of course, these days there is often/usually no 'earth block' - the earth bar of the CU is the 'MET' and there is simply a cable connecting that to the ('consumer-accessible') terminal in a modern cutout.

Kind Regards, John

Is the kitchen downstairs, with the sockets you want to move on the MCB labelled "Down" which is your only RCD protected circuit? If the answer is yes spark 3 is correct.
If the label is to be believed, there's an unused RCD protected way in there.

The OP's latest photo seems to indicate that I was right in my speculation, and that there is probably nothing wrong with the earth connection
Not sure - that leftmost connection looks dodgy.

- just,. for some reason, a second unconnected G/Y cable going from the earth block to the vicinity of one of the incoming cable sheaths (and taped onto it).
The reason would be that if this is a supply which loops to the next property then the outgoing sheath needs to be earthed, via the 2 GY cables and the earth block.

... that is, assuming that the connected G/Y is attached to the incoming (not the assumed looping out) DNO cable sheath
Whichever is the incoming, the next property is relying on the integrity of both connections to the sheaths. If the left one is the incoming, then both properties are relying on the integrity of that connection on the left.

(although one would assume that those two sheaths are joined together at the cutout, anyway).
Yes, if one knew how the cutout was constructed, and that if it provided that facility.

But if one did not know that, then I think assuming would be unwise, particularly as the cutout itself does not need earthing.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back