What Happens Here On P-Day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What effect is P-Day going to have on this forum?

Is it going to be frozen, or removed?

Or will Part P registration include being given a cryptic key that enables competent persons to read and post to this forum while the rest of us remain out in the cold?

OK, I've got my tongue in my cheek a bit but it's still a fair question.

Sponsored Links
My feeling is that the best approach would be a sticky at the very top, maybe with a title in big red letters if this can be done, called DIY ELECTRICAL REGULATIONS or something, with a summary of Part P, and links to the actual legislation on the ODPM website.

There should be a statement that the advice given here is not intended to encourage people to contravene the law, but merely to assist them in complying with BS7671 should they decide to follow the perfectly lawful route of DIY with notification to Building Control.

A question of interest to me is what will the position be of unqualified people giving advice?

Other thoughts:

Should there be a disclaimer about advice given in good faith but ultimately it is the questioner's responsibility to ensure that they conform to BS7671?

Should the registration process could be amended so that people have to tick a box to confirm that they have read and understood the Building Regulations? Should this be made retroactive for existing members?

AFAIK there is no precedent for this - even CORGI does not apply to DIY gas work.

PS - ironic or what - I've just done a spell check, and I'd mis-typed encourage as enourage. The suggestion from the Spell Checker was enrage......:cool:

ban-all-sheds said:
AFAIK there is no precedent for this - even CORGI does not apply to DIY gas work.

could you clarify what you mean by this. do you mean that you are legally allowed to do gas jobs in your own house?

bobb said:
do you mean that you are legally allowed to do gas jobs in your own house?

No the opposite - you must be a CORGI registered engineer to undertake gas work, whereas after Jan 1st the careful DIYer may continue to do electrical work in their own home as long as they notify building control where apporpriate and abide by BS7671, the building regs and other relevant requirements.

Sponsored Links
I hope the building control has taken on extra staff to cope with the extra work.

fubar said:
No the opposite - you must be a CORGI registered engineer to undertake gas work, whereas after Jan 1st the careful DIYer may continue to do electrical work in their own home as long as they notify building control where apporpriate and abide by BS7671, the building regs and other relevant requirements.
I had always believed that to be the case, but recently found out that it is not the case.

Apparently CORGI registration is required by law for those installing gas appliances as part of their business, but it is not a requirement for working on gas within one's own house. The law only requires that you must be "competent" to do so.

All fair comment, chaps, but drifting a bit off-topic.

My opening question for this thread was to explore how this part of the forum will be affected by P-Day, not about Part P or competent persons in general.

fubar said:
bobb said:
do you mean that you are legally allowed to do gas jobs in your own house?

The great myth.

The domestic gas regulations DO NOT require you to be GORGI registered to undertake gas work unless it is for reward. DIY gas work is PERFECTLY legal, but it does have to conform to the appropriate regulations.

They didn't make the same "mistake" with electrics....

Apparently CORGI registration is required by law for those installing gas appliances as part of their business, but it is not a requirement for working on gas within one's own house. The law only requires that you must be "competent" to do so.

Had a gas engineer come round earlier this week. We have ones of the gas cookers which runs of the bottle.

He disconnected the thing, said it was totally illegal to use and slapped a sticker saying that if i connected back up I could be liable to £5k fine..

Sick of this nanny state, had the thing 3 years with no probs. Cheap as chips to run, get a refill for £15 and lasted 5-7 months.

BruisedThumb said:
All fair comment, chaps, but drifting a bit off-topic.

My opening question for this thread was to explore how this part of the forum will be affected by P-Day, not about Part P or competent persons in general.
Trying to keep people on-topic here is like trying to herd cats.....

Sick of this nanny state, had the thing 3 years with no probs. Cheap as chips to run, get a refill for £15 and lasted 5-7 months.

But unsafe. Plenty of people drink and drive, and suffer no probs.

That said, I'm largely against part P.

ban-all-sheds said:
Trying to keep people on-topic here is like trying to herd cats.....

I'm afraid I'm guilty of this to a large degree, but not in this case!!

Not being a legal eagle I'm not sure if presidence has been invoked in this instance yet but i would say that the giving of bad advice would leave one culpable and has always been so regardless of part p coming in. To safeguard oneself you should have a disclaimer stating that you are only giving advice but that you don't recommend any work is carried out by anyone other than a qualified person. If you think about it any advice given here is only going on what facts the asker has told you and shouldn't be taken as an actual solution as all the facts may not be known, you can only truly give advice after seeing the job and all it's potential problems. Fault finding may be the exception to the rule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back