What have you been doing today?

Have we got this the right way round?

The color of a hydrangea flower depends on the chemical makeup of the soil it is planted in. If the soil is high in aluminum and has a low pH, the hydrangea flower will be blue. If the soil has either a high pH or is low on aluminum, the hydrangea flower color will be pink.​

Alkaline is high pH, and acidic is low pH?
The pH scale
Anything below 7.0 is acidic, and anything above 7.0 is alkaline, or basic. pH scale, ranging from 0 (very acidic) to 14 (very basic/alkaline) and listing the pH values of common substances.
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/water-acids-and-bases/acids-bases-and-ph/a/acids-bases-ph-and-bufffers#:~:text=The pH scale,-The pH scale&text=Anything below 7.0 is acidic,pH values of common substances.​
Therefore, we already have an acidic soil, yes?

Seems like I got it the wrong way round, I had thought hydrangeas colour was like litmus paper.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago when I was abou 10 my mother went on one of her early Su nday morning walks and found
some mushrooms

She picked them. Brought em home and fried them up for my Oldmans breakfast :)

Needless to. Say they were dodgy mushrooms some type of toad stool??

He went down with food poisoning lobbed up in a bucket his false teeth came out into the bucket and my mother flushed the contents of the bucket down the bog :LOL:

Teeth and all

My Oldman was not best amused first time I heard him use abusive language to. My mother

Last edited:
That's it then, I'm going to try to cultivate some bilberries. I want to order a proper cooking apple tree anyway. They're a bit rare round here.
The soil here is well drained but it ain't nothing like marshland, it's sandy clay soil. But we've loads of organic material available.

That's it then, I'm going to try to cultivate some bilberries. I want to order a proper cooking apple tree anyway. They're a bit rare round here.
The soil here is well drained but it ain't nothing like marshland, it's sandy clay soil. But we've loads of organic material available.

Easy enough to grow, whether you get a crop is anyone's guess, you'll need a fair few of them to stand a chance of getting a pies worth (though you could be lucky). Put it this way, well be scouring Ilkley moor for a pie or two's foraging which has got to be a few thousand acres.

Sponsored Links
Easy enough to grow, whether you get a crop is anyone's guess, you'll need a fair few of them to stand a chance of getting a pies worth (though you could be lucky). Put it this way, well be scouring Ilkley moor for a pie or two's foraging which has got to be a few thousand acres.
Maybe marshland is not so good. I read that it needs well-drained soil, with nutrient-poor soil.
Maybe ours will fit the bill.

Just made myself and Mrs Mottie a nice cup of home grown mint tea. Just fresh mint and hot water. Much better that even the most expensive of artisan tea bags. Wasn't hard, cost nothing and is absolutely gooorgeous!

A57CFD0E-282A-469B-8793-5D9D5E91C4B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Bloke in the CC did some work for a bloke who consequently snuffed it owing him 4 grand

Blokes wife coukd not pay it u till the will was sorted so. It could have been a while

She offered him. A motor bike as payment he consulted his wife

She said no we wait for the will. To. Get sorted we don't want some motor bike around here

Bloke put up a pic of the bike he took at the time

It was a BSA DBD 34 goldstsr in pristine condition value 25 to. 30 grand :eek:

Comes of listening to the wife :LOL:

That's wives for ya!

"A pound in the hand is soon a pound in a till" :eek:

Just went to have a ciggie in the back garden when we heard the unmistakeable sound of a Merlin engine. Suddenly a Hawker Hurricane appeared over the back garden heading towards Long Melford so I ran through to the front. From there I watched as he performed 2 loop the loops and a Barrel Roll before flying off towards Lavenham!
My own personal flying display on my front doorstep! Wish I had had my camera handy.
Fantastic.Reminds me of turning up to an airshow down south somewhere,turned a corner to be greeted by a Lancaster taxying.Or standing v close to Farnborough show runway in the early 80s watching the flying display.F15 and B1 stole the show.

Reminds me of a job interview I had for a Korean microwave manufacturer..
Via a Korean to English interpretor...""Why did the Spanish lose the Armada.""....Nothing about how does a microwave oven work.

Getting 2 new tyres for my car this afternoon then getting my uniform ready for work tomorrow.

Oh such joy.

Sponsored Links
Back