What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
No. Just 2 new front ones. 215/55/R16/97W

£170 plus free tracking check and a £15 voucher for 'Just Eat', (which I never use so that's a waste, would have preferred the cash).

£170 for new tyres, flippin ek.. they're so expensive these days :(

Driving around in the heat today reminded me again to get the aircon sorted, a mere (!) £60 for a bit of gas.... So booked it in for Tues. I've been meaning to do that for a year :)

£170 for new tyres, flippin ek.. they're so expensive these days :(

£170 for a pair isn’t too bad these days. Includes fitting, old casing disposal, new valve and balancing plus VAT. I bought 4 of these to fit myself to our car a couple of years ago. Just 300 miles later while on holiday in the Peak District, I got a puncture in an area of the tyre that couldn’t be repaired. Had to buy another one. :mad::mad: Took a bit of the shine off of our holiday! :( Drove all the way home on a skinny pram wheel spare. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Don't think I'd like that price - or that journey on a spare..!

I can remember that most tyres used to be around the 50 quid mark each - for years they were like that or so it seemed. Now it's crazy prices. I got rid of the run flats on my mini pretty quick so 4 new tyres was a bit costly but not as costly as yours Mottie. Hard suspension on a mini let alone with run flats, made my bones shake! Got a spare wheel on the back seat in a bin bag, all classy like. Keep meaning to get a bracket for it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We were on holiday in the Azores about 10 years ago, hired a car to travel around the island, got a puncture also a ding in the wheel, hotel recommended a local guy, he disappeared into his workshop, bashed out the ding and repaired the puncture 3 Euros

Don't think I'd like.......that journey on a spare..!
Luckily, we got the puncture on our way out to dinner on our last night. Fitted the spare and phoned around next morning. Nobody within an hours drive had a tyre to match the newly fitted others so I didn’t want to spend the best part of £200 for an 'odd' tyre. We took a leisurely drive home at the maximum allowed speed (50mph) and blimey, did my mpg go up - best ever 47mpg instead of the sub 30’s I usually get!

Yesterday was a hot, sunny and dry day, with outside temperatures around 32° and the temp in the house at 24° and RH in the house about 40%. All the windows open.
All the windows still open (open all night), but now it's 31° outside and the RH is rising rapidly. It's still 24° inside but now around 65% RH. It also feels hot and clammy.
Weather forecast did suggest thunderstorm for about now, but nothing yet.

£170 for a pair isn’t too bad these days. Includes fitting, old casing disposal, new valve and balancing plus VAT. I bought 4 of these to fit myself to our car a couple of years ago. Just 300 miles later while on holiday in the Peak District, I got a puncture in an area of the tyre that couldn’t be repaired. Had to buy another one. :mad::mad: Took a bit of the shine off of our holiday! :( Drove all the way home on a skinny pram wheel spare. :whistle:

Last time I had 4 new tyres (235/50/17) it cost me £410. Bought them from etyres, was not happy with the fitting though, wheels were smeared with brake dust and grease, non of them were inflated to the correct pressure and one slowly deflated repeatedly.

Last time I had 4 new tyres (235/50/17) it cost me £410. Bought them from etyres, was not happy with the fitting though, wheels were smeared with brake dust and grease, non of them were inflated to the correct pressure and one slowly deflated repeatedly.

Thats why I got mine changed. The nearside kept slowly going down over the course of a week. They still had a few thousand miles on them and would have seen me through my MOT at the end of September but I was sick of getting the compressor out when we were going out.

Back to topic. Today was my first day back at work since the end of March.
Very impressed with the Covid prevention measures which include one way systems, sanitation points everywhere, socially distanced eating and smoking areas, everyone issued with 2 washable face coverings, (not masks but with the insertion of a supplementary filter or other such thing, i.e. disposable/washable mask they give great protection), personal sanitising gel, (80% alcohol base), disposable gloves, sanitiser wipes and members of the cleaning staff constantly walking around cleaning all contact points. Guests also given clear instructions to approach staff no closer than 2 metres and informed staff will wear masks and ensure distance at all times.
Only downside was working in this heat.

Up early and over the allotment to give everything a good soaking. Went up Boots to buy one of those temporary tooth filling kits as I’ve had a filling come loose and my dentist is not seeing any patients yet. A quick trip to Basildon to order and pay for some new flooring that I’m going to fit myself. Made a salad for tea. Brought the fan down from the bedroom. Ain’t it hottttttt?

Had a sleep in this morning. My wife thought I had fell into a coma because it was 8 o'clock before I stretched and opened my eyes.
She had been up 2 hours, done a load of housework and some paid work and was now about to get in the shower.
I must be more tired than I thought.

Had a sleep in this morning. My wife thought I had fell into a coma because it was 8 o'clock before I stretched and opened my eyes.
She had been up 2 hours, done a load of housework and some paid work and was now about to get in the shower.
I must be more tired than I thought.
It's going back to work in the heat probably.. :)

I made a tasty meal for tea tonight. Sea Bream and veg tray bake. Ate it outside on the patio and for a brief moment we were could imagine that we were in a Mediterranean beachfront bar. Well, that’s the nearest we'll get to one this year! One for me and one for Mrs Mottie. (y)

103E9E87-3645-43F0-8824-F7A5F0CE4D32.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back