What have you been doing today?

That’s a bugger, especially when you don’t get what you expected. I had a takeaway fail once. Many, many years ago I came home very late from work so I told the wife I’d pick up a takeaway. I called in my local KFC and bought myself three pieces of chicken and chips. I was starving. Outside the KFC was a very dirty scruffy individual known to all as 'The Hornchurch tramp'. He was rooting about in the bin for leftovers. Poor sod I thought, so I also ordered one piece of chicken and chips for him. I gave it to him on my way out and he was grateful. Driving home, I could smell the chicken and chips in the van and was almost salivating. Got indoors, opened my meal up and......one ****ing piece of chicken and chips! I’d given him my meal with three pieces by mistake. Served me right for being tight! :LOL:
I knew I had met you before

Sponsored Links
Just got back from out daily dog walk. Did just under 4 miles. Stopped off on the way back to check on the progress of the restoration of our local windmill. The bottom bit is done. It’s taking forever to finish but it’s getting there although like everything else it’s come to a grinding halt as of late. I think they’ve 'only' got to put the top on and get some new sails made. 'Only' is not going to be cheap or quick though!
The top and the sails are back from Holland now. They are going up in the next week or so depending on the weather. They have a live on-site web camera there to watch the progress but I'm going to go up and watch the procedure with my own eyes. Should be interesting - that’s not something you see every day.

Last edited:
There's an old windmill about 1/4 mile away from ours which was being renovated and completed about 2 years ago.
Sadly they haven't put the sails back on because it has been converted to a holiday let. Instead of the sails they have 'plonked' some structure on top which gives a good view over the surrounding countryside and from ground level as you approach by car it looks like a misshapen turban!
Apparently they were charging £600 a week to stay, going up to £950 in summer season. Now that travel restrictions are in place, (or possibly because winter is approaching), I've heard the price is around £250 per week.

Personally I have washed all the windows and frames today, (14 sets of windows including 4 glazed french doors), plus front and back door, though front door is mainly wood with a single small pane in it.
This was followed by helping my wife to finish cleaning 2 cars, taking all the rubbish out and sorting to general waste/re-cycle waste. Wrapping a number of Christmas presents, (only waiting on granddaughters main one to arrive then we're done), emptying and refilling dishwasher and of a weekend I take control of the washing and drying of all the bed linen and clothes. Very productive day especially as yesterday we both tackled the gardens and, hopefully, they will now be left until spring again.

Sponsored Links
'The Hornchurch tramp'. He was rooting about in the bin for leftovers.
I was sitting outside one of these Asian takeaway places that does all sorts, and they serve it in disposable cartons. Anyway, this tramp turns up , and just like the Hornchurch one, he started to rummage through the bin. I beckoned him over and offered him the rest of mine, saying it is still warm, he was grateful, and saved me having to walk to the bin.

Been over the allotment, dug over couple of beds, did a bit of weeding and planted my garlic. Now aching like a b'stard!

Two and a half hours slowly riding my bike across the Chase, with the kids in tow.
Beautiful clear day(y)

An old sailing fiend just put up a picture of himself on facebook with the dogs on Cannock Chase, did look a nice day up there.

There but for the grace of God, Andy.....this guy is a type 1 diabetic with a shunt insulin pump and when that kicks off his lack of sight is nowt :eek:
Always cheerful though - pretty humbling really.
John :)

A bit of TV/Audio muckaboutery today. First I had to modify my TV stand to get my soundbar to fit between the TV and the stand. Stripped it down, fitted a wooden spacer between the stand and the TV. Next, I replaced my old Fire TV box with a Firestick 4K and Ethernet adaptor and loaded a few programs on there including my daughters Netflix account. :sneaky: It’s working brilliant now - definitely recommend them. Then I went and picked up another soundbar for my mum and went round and set that up on her TV. That’s got the deaf old coot off my back for a while! :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I was a bit bored so I did a bit of cooking today. Made a batch of chicken curry. Enough to fill three takeaway containers. Had one for our tea tonight and froze the other two.

Sponsored Links
Back