What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Went down to the freezer in the shed in the garden at 6:30 this morning to get a turkey out and trod in a dog turd. It was on the path as well - my pooch seems to not like treading on wet grass lately! Grrrrr.

I went out on the bike the other day, and had to navigate the usual dogs, and their "guardians" (another "pet" annoyance: why do people who know their dog is out-of-control let it run around off the lead, then (knowing it will bark / chase / try to bite) frantically try to grab it's collar when the see someone approaching?)

Another couple with their brood and their mutts, too busy yapping and gawking at FaceCrap to see their scabby mongrel shaking like the sh!tt!ng dog it was, dropping its eggs on the park............
As if it couldn't get worse, I could smell the shoite from 30yds away...........:sick::sick::evil:

Today - Xmas Eve. Took my brother out for brunch at 'Spoons in Bristol. Had a very nice large full English (definitely qualifies as a substantial meal!) and couple of pints of Thatchers Gold to wash it down.

This evening went to local for evening meal with friends. Nothing fancy, just scampi and chips - as wasn't that hungry, but had to eat to qualify for the 4 pints of Doom Bar. Got there at 7pm and managed to stretch it out to 10.30pm. Got to make hay while the sun shines these days!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Turkey's nearly ready to come out of the oven, been in since 6:30. Just probed it and it’s up to temperature but I’ll give it another 10 mins to be on the safe side. Going to leave that to rest while we go for a dog walk up to the windmill to check progress and then come back and start prepping my veg. No home-grown sprouts this year as they all failed in the heatwave but home-grown spuds, parsnips and carrots. Just the two of us for dinner but four and a half dinners to cook. One for each of us and one each for the mum and mum-in-law that we will be delivering later. I offered to make and deliver a dinner to one of my elderly single neighbours. She said she has her own veg but wouldn’t say no to a couple of slices of turkey so I’ll run that down to her later with a bit of stuffing, a drop of turkey gravy and a couple of pigs in blankets.

Only 3 1/2 hours for the turkey? Ours took 5 1/2 and it was delicious and the beef was out of this world. Prepped some for the old lady next door only for her nephew to tell me they were just about to take her to theirs for lunch. Still, it never went to waste, we simply shared it out between us. Still got a big plate of both meats left for a sandwich shortly and a cold meat lunch tomorrow.

Only 3 1/2 hours for the turkey? Ours took 5 1/2
Slightly less. Turkey was just over 6kg and the instructions were 20 mins per kilo plus 90 minutes. I used a meat thermometer and it was over temperature after just 3 hours at 160° in a fan oven. I gave it an extra 10 mins to be on the safe side. Lovely and moist (I bunged a couple of onions inside and foiled it for the first 2 1/2 hours). I’ve still got half a breast, two legs and a wing left. Going to have some in a minute for my tea.

My wife always uses a meat thermometer and it's always spot on. She also drapes layers of bacon over the turkey, under the foil 'blanket', to help keep it , moist. Never had better turkey, or beef, than what she cooks. Just had a cold turkey sandwich and now washing it down with a bottle of Lancaster Bomber.
Happy Christmas everyone!

Was that The Commercial Rooms ? Been in there a lot.

No, the Berkeley at the top of Park St - opposite university/museum. It's ok, good value and breakfast saw me through to evening. Commy Rooms is OK, but used to get very busy at certain times and nightmare getting served. So bad we used to order 2 pints each to cut out the queueing.

Had a zoom quiz/meeting with Mrs Motties family. 2 3/4 hours. That was 2 1/2 hours too long. I lost the will to live. Even the dog was pleading with me to put her to bed. After it had ended, Mrs Mottie had the cheek to say "That was nice, wasn’t it"? I made the mistake of saying "No" and now she’s got the 'ump. Wimmin!

Sponsored Links
Back